Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Apricot digitalis

Hello fellow gardeners, i have recently acquired 3 apricot foxgloves which I love. My question is...if I harvest he seeds and scatter them, will the flowers grow back true to colour?

thank you.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Some might but not reliableimage

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Fingers crossed then thankyou  nut cutlet.

• Katherine WKatherine W Posts: 410

If they are the only foxgloves in your garden, or the vicinity, they may well come true.

If not, some cross pollination may happen. Worth trying anyway! image

My original foxgloves (white) came true until I introduced some purple ones (50 -50 after that)

• Unfortunately i have wild purple ones too.....oh well maybe I'll end up with purple with apricot spots....now that would be interesting! Thank you for your response Katherine w. 

• ecokidecokid Posts: 138

If you want to retain the strain it's best to only plant 1 type of Digitalis purpurea with only cross breeds of digitalis and even that depends on the bees not visiting other foxgloves close by. Otherwise you could let the foxgloves mingle and see what pops up. image

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

I find that with foxglove seedlings, the all green ones produce pale flowers, and the ones with a reddish hue to the leaf petioles produce purple flowers. Young cosmos plants are similar, green stems lighter colour flowers, stems with a red flushing give darker pink or red flowers. If you have a lot of young plants, you can rogue them at that stage before waiting for flowers. I hope that helps.image