London (change)
Today 20°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 10°C
9 messages
14/07/2012 at 21:43

Hi

My Aquilegia has seed pods with black seeds inside can I save these for next spring to plant.

Regards

Chris

14/07/2012 at 21:51

You can indeed, or you can save some for spring, and sow some now (replicating nature) and see which plants are best.

Good luck, they really are beautiful little things.

14/07/2012 at 22:00

They're better sown fresh, but will grow next spring too.

14/07/2012 at 22:11

Hi

Thanks for the response I didn't realise I could sow them this time of the year, being a newbie. 

I see on this weeks diary that it is possible to sow lettuces, I would like to try them in a trough what soil or compost would I use.

Thanks again.

14/07/2012 at 22:54

Any multi-purpose compost will be fine for lettuce, and it's a good choice given the damned rain.

15/07/2012 at 14:20

I have an envelope of seeds that I have saved from the dreadful weather and was going to split the sowing as above , some this year and some next. My ? is should I sow the ones this year directly into the soil where I want them or in pots for planting out??

15/07/2012 at 14:26

I would put them in pots - much easier to keep them adequately watered and sheltered then. If you have very heavy rain, there's a chance that they could be washed away in the open ground.

15/07/2012 at 15:33

I agree, sow some of them in pots now and some in the spring.  If you have a cold frame, overwinter the ones you sow now in there, and they should flower next year.  Those sown in spring will usually not flower until the year after.

Bear in mind that they don't come true from seed, but you can select the best ones when they flower and pull-up those with non-descript flowers or colours you don't like (which, in my experience, is usually about 3/4 of them.)  I find it quite exciting when it comes to seeing what the first flowers will be like - there's always a surprise, if you sow a lot of them!

15/07/2012 at 18:20

Thanks for this Bob and Alina. Just as well I have just washed out all my small pots from earlier in the season! One of the many jobs I have found myself doing as I get outside pottering job withdrawal symptoms. Heavy cloud and now more rain up here in the north west so a job for tommorrow methinks.  

email image
9 messages