London (change)
Today 14°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 2°C
1 to 20 of 33 messages
28/05/2014 at 22:19

I've been thinking about harvesting my Aquilegia seeds once the flowers are gone over and sowing some in trays indoors.Is there any real point to this though or should I just wait until next spring and sow direct? Its just that I like to have something new growing on the window sill,something to nurture and it keeps me occupied.Or would the temperature indoors in summer be too warm for them?

28/05/2014 at 22:30

If you sow them as soon as they're ripe they'll germinate quickly and you'll have small plants by winter.

But forget the window sill, they won't like being in the warm. They are hardy plants.Window sills are for germinating and protecting the non hardy.

I sow mine fresh outside or in a cold GH in midwinter. They never let me down

28/05/2014 at 22:58

OK thanks nut.I'm planning to dig some new border out and to have a big bed of them,it seems to be a good year for these beautiful flowers and might mix some Wallflowers in there too 

28/05/2014 at 23:01

They do make a good show. Mix something later flowering in as well though. After the wallflowers and the aquilegias go over you've either got a shambles or you cut them back and remove the wallflowers and it's all bare

28/05/2014 at 23:13

Hmm good point. I've got those little Foxgloves and Hollyhocks are well established

29/05/2014 at 08:52

The hollyhocks will do it

29/05/2014 at 13:51

they will take a time to germinate usually between 21 to 45 days don't despair, they will  come up, and its always nice to nurture a few more plants, next year you can put them where you want them, as if they seed themselves is anyones guess, any free plants are always a bonus. I have just sown some yellow ones free of gardeners news.

29/05/2014 at 13:58

21-45 days is a long time if you're used to annuals. It's quick for a perennial grower like me

29/05/2014 at 20:39

Thank you nut and kim for your feedback. I don't have a greenhouse but will sow some in trays and put them on my faithful garden table.

I can live with 21-45 days 

23/06/2014 at 23:37

Just to bring up this subject again. Is it best to wait until the seed pods go brown and split or can you harvest seeds when the pods are green? I'm assuming brown but I've noticed some pods while still green have lost that sticky feel and seem dry.The seeds need to fully ripen don't they?

23/06/2014 at 23:43

They do Fishy. If they don't fall out when you tip the pod upside down, they're not ready.

Your faithful garden table needs to be in the shade, the seedling will fry if they germinate in the sun. Or you could keep them and sow them around midwinter

24/06/2014 at 08:55

OK thanks nut. I have an Ash tree the table can go under,should keep them nicely protected 

24/06/2014 at 09:00

Sounds good

I must keep an eye on mine. Not nearly ripe yet but I want to get some seed off the yellow/red ones.

I've already failed to collect the hellebore seed

24/06/2014 at 09:15
I always used to just scatter the seed where I wanted them to grow. You can always move any young plants if they are in the wrong place. As soon as the seed was ripe I would knock the plants so it simply fell out or nip them off if I wanted the seed further afield.
24/06/2014 at 09:29

I let them get on with the job in the garden but I've promised seed of the yellow/reds to a friend. 

And if I buy/get given any, I sow those in pots so I know which they are

24/06/2014 at 11:50

Nut do they often come true? For me i have so many different colours/types that the seeds could end up absolutely anything.. If i want to give someone a specific type i find it better to just divide and give them a division.

24/06/2014 at 13:56

The yellow/red ones are pretty much apart from the rest Andy and my friend only wants some red yellow, nothing too precise so they'll be fine

Otherwise yes, a promiscuous lot. 

24/06/2014 at 14:36

oh  thank u for this post.. i have never had success with them at all. now i know why i do them in green house.. thank u much appreciated

24/06/2014 at 15:32

speaking of yellow and red, i got some Aquilegia Rhubarb and Custard seeds from suttons, really pretty little aquilegia. 

24/06/2014 at 15:38

The only Aquilegias I have are the common purple/blue or white ones.My neighbour though has yellow ones which I've eyed enviously over the fence.

For the most part I agree with letting nature take its course and letting them self-seed but sometimes its satisfying to give plants a leg up as it were.I've done that with these little Foxgloves and have loads in pots whereas the seeds I scattered have so far produced nothing.I say so far because I read Foxglove seeds lay dormant until the conditions are right.Yet at the same time I have dwarf beans growing in pots and guess what's self-seeded in one of them? Yep,a Foxglove!! I suppose the moral of this story is that plants will try to grow where they want and not where we want them to 

1 to 20 of 33 messages