London (change)
Today 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
21 to 25 of 25 messages
30/01/2014 at 22:32

Mark.

Consider yourself lucky.   You and yours have a new friend.  Mike's the name.   Fair do's perhaps the scent is not to everyones preference.  Actually folks.  I believe that the humble frenchie is making a come back.  Just consider.  For donkey years.  The wallflower was the number one king of the garden.  Then the marigolds stepped into place.  Followed by the Impatiens.  Busy Lizzie.  A viral fungas wiped most varieties out.  Plants such as Ageratum took a back seat for a time, also Cinneraria maritima.  Now they are being sold by stores and garden centers.  Even Bellis perennis.  That is doing well.  Peoples tastes are changing so rapidly.  Much like the clothing fashion world.

Gardening is a wonderland of adventure.  Enjoy it.

30/01/2014 at 22:33

Anything that deters nasties is welcome in my garden

31/01/2014 at 11:13

I love French Marigolds in pots or in the veg garden, bit bright for the flower garden though. I plant lots that I grow from seed all around the tomatoes and beans, makes the veg garden pretty as well as keeping aphids away.

31/01/2014 at 12:46

Thanks Mike for your reassurance. My wife likes 'Queen Sofia' she make a nice display out the front with her 'Crystal Palace' lobelia.

I grow 'Motely Crew' around the back. No, that's not a new variety, it's all the seeds I have collected over the years. You never know what you are going to get!

Viva la French Marigold, to the tune of La Marseillaise 

31/01/2014 at 13:08

Just asked my French colleague why they are called 'French Marigold' here is his answer:

'It comes from the Antilles – and in France is called Indian marigold because les Antilles were previously called the- orientates indies - ??

Here it is called French Marigold because French growers have worked the plants for centuries and developed many subspecies of it.'

Everyday a school day

email image
21 to 25 of 25 messages