Start a new thread

21 to 36 of 36 replies

Fairygirl

Take a bit of time with your research into a suitable climber. If the site's exposed, that can make a difference with your choice too.  

Fairygirl

I did see it aym. Lots of pots. My query was still valid. I dug up concrete against the wall of a previous house so that I could plant directly. Far better than containers for climbers   

Fairygirl

I'm not getting into some sort of  debate here,  I merely asked the question....

nutcutlet

hmmmm

Last edited: 05 March 2017 10:20:02

Sorry to be  boring but there will be no drilling or digging into the tarmac!

Advertisement

Dovefromabove
janer2 says:

Sorry to be  boring but there will be no drilling or digging into the tarmac!

See original post

Fair enough - it's your garden  

But if you want climbers against that wall you'll need to invest in some bigger containers

BobTheGardener

I think the 'controversial' climber (ie 'not boston ivy') with the red leaves and tendrils is an ornamental grapevine.  That won't show signs of life until quite late, probably May.

Last edited: 05 March 2017 11:36:02

nutcutlet

That's very likely Bob

Shouldn't it have some green in it somewhere at the moment, though? 

Still early janer ...very early in many places.  Patience.  

Ok - we're in north Yorkshire. I was meaning shouldn't there atleast be a small bit of green inside the stems, rather than green leaves... but will maybe wait and see for a bit before replacing it. The ornamental vine sounds a bit less destructive than Boston ivy! ASsume that's something like this

http://www.crocus.co.uk/plants/_/vitis-coignetiae/classid.1730/

BobTheGardener

Yes, that or something similar, Janer2.  On grapevines, some of the side shoots die completely every year and only the main stems remain alive but don't risk cutting into those at this time of year to find any green as they can bleed to death and should be pruned (if necessary) in December.  If you don't see any swelling buds on side shoots close to the main stem by the end of June, that would be the time to consider it dead.

Busy-Lizzie

I agree with Bob. I have Boston Ivy, which isn't an ivy, it's a smaller cousin of Virginia Creeper (think that was mentioned). I also have a grapevine. The grapevine looks totally dead at the moment, but I know it isn't. The leaves are late to come out.  Too late to prune now, the sap is rising.

So, if it is an ornamental grapevine, I would be inclined to leave and see what happens. Be grateful it isn't a Boston Ivy, I have to get a man in to stop it growing on the roof, I don't like heights.

Hazel --

I would agree with Nutcutlet that Boston Ivy doesn't have those twirly bits....they are indicative of clematis. Here's our Boston Ivy and what it looks like at this time of year....hope the pics come out so that you can see the stem etc:

Dovefromabove

I agree with Bob - an ornamental grapevine of one sort or another. 

Advertisement

Thanks so much! Those photos are very helpful. It does not look at all like that. Maybe I will just wait and see then, if it might yet spring back to life.  Do I need to do anything to it in the meantime?