Start a new thread

1 to 11 of 11 replies

Hello, I wonder if someone could please confirm if the plants in these pictures are weeds? The ones in the first two pics I've never seen before, the other two are regulars in my garden! 

Also, I've been wondering, ive starting to plant some self seeding plants, how do I avoid mistaking the seedlings for weeds? 

Many thanks in advance. 

fidgetbones

First two look like onopordum seedlings, easier to identify when first true leaves show.

3 I think is a tree seedling.

4 I think is possible jack by the hedge.

3 and 4 I would get rid of now. 1 and 2 I would let the next set of leaves grow and they will be easier to identify.

B3

Ist pic really familiar from my old garden. It's driving me up the wall trying to remember what it is. I hope someone identifies it soon!

I take the view that if I don't KNOW it's a weed I leave it to get big enough to be certain. It's really difficult to identify a tiny seedling.

I think number 3 is a Birch seedling

Advertisement

DimWit

Can't number one be something more prosaic, like pumpkin?

nutcutlet
DimWit says:

Can't number one be something more prosaic, like pumpkin?

See original post

courgettes I though so much the same

3 agree birch and 4 probably something in the Lamiaceae family. I don't think it's Jack by the hedge

BobTheGardener

Agree with Dimwit, 1 & 2 are in the cucurbit family, you can even see the seed shell.  They could be pumpkins, squash, melons, cucumbers etc.

Lyn

What did you grow there last year? They could be Cerinthe, Antirrhinum or Zinnia, lots of flowers start like that. Difficult to judge the size, they could be large, so maybe veg seeds.

Thank you all for your replies. It's a new bed from last year, so nothing was there.. we have a lot of squirrels, so maybe they could have buried some seeds?

i might just leave number 1 and 2 and see what happens..

DimWit

I would leave number 1 and get pumpkins for Halloween!