London (change)
Today 22°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 15°C
6 messages
18/03/2012 at 00:24

I was just wondering why is Artemisia abrotanum / Southernwood not seen in any gardening programs or magazines. I am a fan of this shrub and for me it beats lavender any day but it seems not to be that popular. It will survive warm dry summers, wet summers, shade and full sun but it seems not to like peaty soils but will grow anywhere else and survive anything else. I love the smell and feel of this plant, so why is it not more popular?

28/07/2013 at 16:50

I have grown this in my garden foe 5years+. My husband chops it back as we have a very small plot but it comes right back.It has a delightful smell when brushed or crushed and I give cuttings away to all and sundry.

28/07/2013 at 16:58

It's a very old fashioned shrub.  I had a plant from cuttings from my uncle years ago and he had cuttings from his father, etc

I no longer grow it but cuttings given to a friend of mine have produced large bushes in her garden.  I agree, scent is wonderful.  You have prompted me to grow it again.  

It seems out-dated. It doesnt look much.  The scent is only available when brushed against or touched.  No bright flower colour.  just not "desirable" I guess.    But.....I want it now!

28/07/2013 at 19:58

is this the one we called Lad'sLove?

28/07/2013 at 21:15

Yes, boys love, lads love.  We prob prefer the silver artemisias now.....

But, it's what our parents amd their parents grew.....something nice about that.  Same with the old fashioned pinks and roses.  An idea for another border I think.....plants of,yesteryear.

28/07/2013 at 21:29

I'd forgotten that one. Plants of yesteryear, good idea. 

email image
6 messages