Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Associating hydrangea limelight,

VerdunVerdun Posts: 23,348

Meant to plant hydrangea limelight today but looking for something special and different to associate with it

So far considered rudbeckias or geum  totally tangerine or lobelia hadspen purple around its feet, and heleniums, salvia uliginosa, and actea black negligee at a higher level.  However, these are my thoughts but any better ideas out there? Verbena Bonariensis spiking above it too...?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Would the yellow Foxtail Lily 'Sunbeam' work do you think?  I think colourwise it would pick up the acidity of limelight, but not sure if it's the right flowering period.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409

I like lime green with deep blue - how about one of your tender salvias or aconitums?

• I haven't looked these up to see if they flower together but I think a maroon potentilla like monarchs velvet would look nice in front or a red persicaria.

I'd have a black and blue salvia (if I lived somewhere milder) or maybe those orange rudbeckia with the green eye.

Stone looks nice with hydrangeas too I always think. Maybe a bench or a bird bath. It would also look lovely near a pond.

Wearside, England.
  • Chicky beat me to it with the salviaimage

Wearside, England.
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 8,352

It's  a lovely shrub Verdun - I'm going to buy another one this year & the area where I'll be planting it (full sun in the morning - shade in the afternoon) has variegated hostas, dark purple / blue geraniums and some Salvia nemorosa Caradonna in situ - which I'm hoping will work well. A shot of yellow sounds nice though....

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,554

Russian sage image Wouldn't fancy orange myself image

• Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,554

Yes love it too in the garden but not with your lime light image 

Have a look in the google images of lime light andRussian sage, looks well lovely image