London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
13 messages
26/02/2014 at 12:38

In my desperate attempt to grow astrantia I have just bought a plant from Wilco. The instructions say to soak the plant (which it is doing at the moment) then plant outside in the soil.  As this plant has been in a warm shop for I don't know how long, would it be advisable to put it in a plant pot in my mini polythene greenhouse before planting out in the garden?

26/02/2014 at 12:46

When I buy plants like that I always pot it up first and give it some tlc.

Put it in your mini GH for a week or two and - then like any plant - gradually harden it off. - in at night out in the day, until the weather is warmer and you have strong growth.

26/02/2014 at 12:46

Astrantias are quite tough but I would give yours a coupl eo fdays to acclimatise before planting out.  Once soaked, pot it up in a slightly bigger pot, water thoroughly then allow it to drain and keep it outside by day and sheltered by night for a week or two.  By then it should be ready to cope with the great outdoors - unless we get a sudden blast of late winter.

Edd
26/02/2014 at 12:52

Not sure i can help you out with that one Forester2. There are 3 links on this site. one on Talkback 3 Feb 2014 and one on Problem solving, 11 June 2013.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&ved=0CEoQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gardenersworld.com%2Fforum%2Fplants%2Fyour-experiences-with-astrantia%2F67752.html&ei=aeINU7KdMqew7Qb-iIC4Bg&usg=AFQjCNGg9TwVb5L67Pq_0cFeXJa1rO65mQ   

Hope they help.

26/02/2014 at 12:56

Forester I too bought some of the same astrantia as well as some lupins and echinops... The lupins and astrantia are in the ground with cloches over and are doing well.....

26/02/2014 at 12:57

Whoops didn't finish the echinops I potted up and it is romping away! So I would pot up for a bit

26/02/2014 at 13:53

That's encouraging Stacey that your Wilco astrantia is doing well.  I think the consensus of opinion from you folks is to pot it up and keep in the greenhouse till the weather gets a wee bitty warmer then out it goes.  Thanks go to Matty obelixx Edd and Stacey.

26/02/2014 at 13:56

Edd - how did you find those threads?  Prior to posting this question I spent ages looking on the plants thread plodding backwards.  Is there a quicker way?

Edd
26/02/2014 at 14:07

Hi Forester2.

I did a google search for 'growing astrantia' and it came up in the search list with the link to this site and another two below it.

It is very often more precise than using the search facility on this site.

You do not always get the link to Gardeners World though.

26/02/2014 at 14:11

Thanks Edd

26/02/2014 at 16:53

Forester

I grow a few different astrantias.   Love em.

However....just in case....don't plant in hot poor or dry soil.  They will simple disappear. Good dampish soil in partial shade is perfect although I do grow them in sunny spots too but soil is very good there.

Agree about potting up first.

26/02/2014 at 17:59

I love them, but don't have much luck. Even though I water them and they are in partial shade SW France is just too hot in July and August.

26/02/2014 at 18:47

Thanks Verdun - no chance of hot/dry in my garden.  I have been trying for several years to get them going (seed) as I thought my garden was perfect - limited sun and damp soil, shade and partial shade.  This is the last chance!

email image
13 messages