Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Astrantias not flowering

VerdunVerdun Posts: 23,348
None of my astrantias have flowered well this year. Usually I have masses of flower. Anybody else have this problem? They like some moisture but maybe it has been too cold and wet..? Anybody grown astrantia jumble hole?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

I planted some astrantias earlier this year in our new garden - as yet they've not bloomed, but I live in hope ....

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• I planted some astrantias earlier this year in our new garden - they're blooming very well - sorry!!  

• HOLEDIGGERHOLEDIGGER Posts: 87
    I have only one Astrantia,which normally flowers most of the summer no trouble at all,this year not so,foliage is badly marked and flowers not much colour,for a better description, it looks sick, think will cut it back and give a feed.
  • higgy50higgy50 Posts: 184

Well, I have to apologise but mine have done really well and the bees have absolutely loved them this year! I don't think it's the damp weather as I'm situated on the edge of Marsh Grazing Land so we have been decidedly 'boggy' all year and they've done ok!

I'm no expert but wondering if your plants need lifting and dividing to encourage more growth and flowers next year?? How old are the plants?

Someone else might say this is completely wrong but just a thought??

Higgy

http://higgysgardenproject.blogspot.co.uk/

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

@ Christopher, you're getting to know me image and you're right, I doubt it'll work this late in the season, but I'm looking forward to you telling me I was wrong - I suppose it depends on whether we get an Indian Summer this year - we certainly deserve one!

I've just been out and looked at my astrantias and there's absolutely no sign of flowers, but as I said these were newly planted late this spring as we're creating a new garden here, starting from scratch.  In my last garden, which was north-facing and alternately damp then parched, the astrantias were superb and when we left last August they were in full flower.  I lifted and divided them about every three years, and as the garden was 'city dirt' they were mulched with organic farmyard manure every year which seemed to suit them.  

You may be right, if they've had a lot of nitrogen-type feed they've probably grown a bit lush and without having had any sun to stimulate flowering ....  what about giving them a small dose of tomato fertiliser to encourage flowering?

I'm looking forward to seeing mine flower next summer - that's gardening, already looking ahead 12 months!

I don't know Jumble Hole, but having Googled, it looks gorgeous and is one I'll definitely consider for the future.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Jean GenieJean Genie Posts: 1,724

Sorry but I'm on Higgy's team . I've got '' shaggy '' and for some reason it's done better than ever this year - loads of flowers. Going to google jumbo hole -never heard of . I use fish, blood and bone everywhere at the beginning of the season - maybe they got a bit more than others. Strange things afoot in the garden this year , had a clematis that came back from the dead and have some oddities growing.

Maybe all the rain .

• LovetogardenLovetogarden Posts: 756

My astrantia have done better this year and I have not treated them any differently.   I think they have benefited from the wet weather as we have sandy soil that drains very quickly. I just keep adding as much homemade compost as possible and mulch. I have just looked on the Internet and several sites advise you to deadhead after flowering to encourage a second flush. I am going to try it. Nothing to loose.image

• LowennaLowenna Posts: 88

I bought small astrantia plants from eBay in May. They have all grown well and all but one are flowering... sorry image