London (change)
Today 16°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
21 to 33 of 33 messages
20/09/2012 at 22:25

Hi Cia

Interesting article about the bees.I kept honeybees for many years but became allergic to the stings, loved it, fascinating hobby. Ivy flowers are about the last for the year, along with rosebay willow herb and the sedums. Fried egg plants from seed in spring drive bees to delirium, they love them. Spring crocus and snowdrops provide pollen for bumble bee rearing. Perennial geranium is another favourite with honeybees. Beg from friends Cia, more fun and cheaper.

20/09/2012 at 22:28

I love them too.  Started off by buying one and once the flowers finished they had berries so I sowed some.  They germinated with no fuss and now have lots and given lots away! 

21/09/2012 at 07:38

Lupin2 im on the prowl now.

Carolinesmith im on my way to your garden.

Thanks everyone.

21/09/2012 at 09:37

I have Japanese quince as hedge along my front garden - flowers early and is very attractive to the bees.

21/09/2012 at 09:46

I just googled Japanese Quince and its very pretty.

21/09/2012 at 09:54

The Co-op Bank's campaign this year is to help stop the decline in numbers of bees and other pollinators*.   They suggest the Royal Horticultural Society's list of season-by-season bee-friendly plants:  www.rhs.org.uk/plants which also gives details of the different species of bee, which need a range of nesting sites inc. tied-together bundle of hollow stems so that might explain the brickwork cracks.  Also check out www.co-operative.coop

*Bees are responsible for pollinating over 70 of the 100 crop species that make up 90% of the world's food.  I think the End of the World will come through something like No More Bees than some cataclysm!

21/09/2012 at 11:50

Try this link for Bees Like most gardeners I love all nature and wild animals too and this site is great for infomation etc. 

http://www.wildlifeinsight.com/Insight/?page_id=385

21/09/2012 at 12:36

Pretzel ad Balcony Gardener i will check out the websites you have recommended - thank you very much.

Today i spent £5 and bought 2 Cyclamen for a £1 each and also a heather £1 and a bag of 20 miixed crocus's and a cake for my lunch (bread pudding)

MMM.

21/09/2012 at 12:43

I see without bees - chocky wouldnt be around.

I remember seeing a programme last year about bees and the importance of them. So now when i garden i bear this in mind. If it dosnt ooze pollen - stick it on the roundabout. lol

Good luck to the Co-op for doing their bit.

21/09/2012 at 15:21

Hi, I don't know about Hellibores but ...

...Winter Aconite flowers form Jan to Mar. Shade/partial shade

Wood Anemone (Anemone nemerosa) early spring

Wild Primrose (Primula vulgaris) Feb to May

Lungwort (Pulmonaria 'Blue Ensign') Blue Ensign is one of the ealiest flowering

Mahonia (as suggested elsewhere)

Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis)

Crocus

21/09/2012 at 15:25

Thanks Eileen. I have Anemone bulbs in the ground already and Lungwort also is down the bottom of my garden. Thank you.

23/09/2012 at 11:33

Another good one for early in the year is the ornamental current (Ribes sanguineum).  I planted one for the bees a few years ago and they absolutely love it.  I wasn't all that keen on Ribes before, if I'm honest, but I'm now a definite convert and think they're lovely.  The one I have is 'Pulborough Scarlet'.

23/09/2012 at 11:44

Its very beautiful thank you for letting me know of its magical powers.

email image
21 to 33 of 33 messages