London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 26°C / 16°C
14 messages
24/09/2013 at 11:14

OK, so as previous threads i have some spring bulbs - daffs, muscari, iris, crocus and chionodoxa - all fine, however after now the summer flowers are all but gone im going to be left with a rather bare and colourless garden (ive only started planting enthusiastically around mid/late spring).

so my question is ... is it too late to get some colour in the garden now? im sure there would be some nice little evergreens (hebes, heathers, lavenders etc) that i could pot up with an autumn or winter flowering plant, but as ive not been through an autumn or winter before (in garderning terms!) my knowledge on plants for this time of year is a little limited. help much appreciated!

24/09/2013 at 11:54

Cyclamen hederifolium are looking good now and will go on for weeks to be followed by C. coum.

Have a look and see what the GCs are selling for winter decoration. Winter isn't a full of colour season in the garden though. Shapes from evergreens, dried perennials, lovely in the frost.

24/09/2013 at 12:33

If you grow hawthorn, cotoneaster, pyracantha, berberis, etc you can look forward to lots of berries and lots of birds to feed on them.  I love asters in the autumn and cyclamen and hellebores and snowdrops in the winter.  A good shrub is skimmia - female for berries, male for red flowers all winter long.  But my favourite for flowers and fruit together is chaenomeles.  Mine is very old and has red little rose like flowers all the year round but mostly from December on.

24/09/2013 at 20:36

How about Helleborus sp. for winter, & Nerine bowdenii for autumn.  Also, Heuchera sp (although not flowering autumn & winter, still glorious colour)

25/09/2013 at 19:41

I have just bought three hypericums for the autumn.  They have green, pink, or red berries depending on whether they are called Green Lion, Red Lion or Sweet Lion.  Only groe to 40cm so ideal for small gardens or rockeries in a large garden like mine.  Here is their picture.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/31665.jpg?width=244&height=350&mode=max

25/09/2013 at 19:59

I like those Marion, the pink one for me.

25/09/2013 at 21:42

Lovely to see all these pretty plants for the darker days ahead.  I haven't been

very well for a few weeks now but hope to get going with my wildflower garden

again very soon.  Can anyone please tell me if I should use some kind of 

nutritious material when I plant wild daffodil bulbs in my wildflower garden, as I

plan to plant them under trees where the soil is very dry and dusty.  They will

be a little apart from the wildflower seeds I'm sowing, so perhaps it might not

matter if I fertilize the ground just under the trees?  Any advice will be much

appreciated.

Nutcutlet I'm just about to PM you! But please give me a little while as I'm

still handicapped - pardon the pun!

25/09/2013 at 21:55

Just packeted up most of your seeds and left a message on seed share ffb

25/09/2013 at 22:24

Thanks Nutcutlet - I eventually managed to pm you (it was my third

attempt - the first two messages disappeared into cyber space when I was only

halfway through them!)

25/09/2013 at 22:33

Got it and replied ffb.

26/09/2013 at 09:17

Your daffodil bulbs already have the flower inside if they are flowering size.  The time to feed is after they flower while the foliage is still green.  Deadhead the daffodils till you have too many to do this by which time you may have to dig up the clump and separate out the new bulbs to avoid having blind clumps.

26/09/2013 at 10:07

Earliest flowers for me are snowdrops. Altho' they are not always as successful when planted in bulb form you might want to try some...put them where you can see them from indoors if possible as you may not want to spend too much time out in a cold garden just to look at them..... nothing ventured, nothing g....

26/09/2013 at 22:57

'Scuse me folks - just need to test my ability to access this thread To evaluate one the forum problems we are still experiencing.

Thankyou

27/09/2013 at 19:51

Yes, me too.  The site seems stuck, even the weather forecast gives the wrong date and all the headings like Latest on the Forum are stuck way back.  The date mechanism seems to be notf unctioning.

email image
14 messages