London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
41 to 58 of 58 messages
13/06/2012 at 10:00
gardengirl6 wrote (see)

Great!   We need to nuture an interest in gardening in children.    I always wish it had been done wih me, although I did watch my Dad - just wasn't allowed to touch anything.   I'm a pensioner now, but if I had my time over again, I would try for horticultural college!

I certainly would agree with that and do all I can in that respect, with visits to a local primary school helping with advice...the children are so interested and eager to learn.

Myself, I had had a wonderful introduction into gardening with my dad being an excellent gardener and my granddad being a head gardener for a large estate.

I could thin a bunch of grapes by the time I was twelve.

13/06/2012 at 10:17

I had no interest in gardening, being brought up in Australia where we had a " shrubs and lawn" garden. But when I moved to my first house here in 1992, my new husband was a gardener and I got hooked growing sweetpeas and runners beans. Gardening is so rewarding and we can get the bug at any age, as long as we have someone to guide us in the early days. And TV, magazines and the internet have become a great tool for that.....   

13/06/2012 at 11:41
I'm a recent convert to gardening with sweetpeas being one of my first things grown. Mine are bushing out nicely, but going a bit slowly from the sounds of things here. They were sown in February and it's been particularly cold this spring, so no surprise really! Some lovely pictures here. Will post some of mine when there's something to show.
13/06/2012 at 13:25

Some sound advice here so thanx to everyone - I love sweetpeas with a passion and ordered some special ones this year but I did everything wrong and they're frankly pathetic

October sowing this year and no molly-coddling!

14/06/2012 at 08:15
HyppyByker wrote (see)

Some sound advice here so thanx to everyone - I love sweetpeas with a passion and ordered some special ones this year but I did everything wrong and they're frankly pathetic

October sowing this year and no molly-coddling!

I introduced a couple of sweet pea growing tutorials to the BBC boards (and others) If there were sufficient interest, I would be prepared to do the same here. I would imagine it would need to be located in the Potting Shed.

Let me know.

14/06/2012 at 14:01

I would love a tutorial on sweet peas, us newbies need all the help we can get.

14/06/2012 at 14:53

David-I think you should do it if you have the time to answer questions- I do look on you as the sweet pear guru-but you are not getting a badge

14/06/2012 at 15:07
sotongeoff wrote (see)

David-I think you should do it if you have the time to answer questions- I do look on you as the sweet pear guru-but you are not getting a badge

I'm remarkably patient when it comes to answering queries, even when when they become repetitive....okay, I'll keep it in mind.

Badge? I get my reward by hearing from people who have grown their best sweet peas ever...I have even helped a few on to the exhibition circuit.

15/06/2012 at 09:33

Perhaps not enough interest to make it worthwhile then!

15/06/2012 at 19:13
David K- I would love to see your tutorial to know how to grow sp, every year I sow in the spring as I never knew they would cope with the cold until now. I sow them in root trainers, then when planted out I give them plenty of compost and water well, but they never seem to do very well compared to others I've seen. They do not grow very tall only about 1-2 foot, and even though I pick the very few flowers and do not get that many more. So your knowledge would be very much appreciated.
15/06/2012 at 19:25
Another vote for David K to guide us all through the secrets of sweet pea growing. I was a bit late with mine this year (well very late...March.) they've only got to knee height now, maybe I'll be able to cut a few in August?
15/06/2012 at 19:39

I love sweet peas, did some Autumn sowings last year but at the time I thought they were eating by tiny black flies, I know know they were eaten by slugs

My spring sowings have had the first flowers over the last few days. From reading this thread, I will be doing Autumn & Spring sowings from now on.

I would love to hear any information about how to get loads of long lasting blooms.

16/06/2012 at 10:12

Well, it seems there may be sufficient interest to start a sweet pea thread...and to be honest I think we've hijacked this one for long enough anyway.

I think you'll agree that at this time during mid-season it isn't ideal to start a detailed guide to growing sweet peas. So perhaps it would be better to start a sweet pea queries thread in the Potting Shed as a temporary measure, to be replaced with a more comprehensive guide in the autumn.

Hope this is satisfactory.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/DavidKnapper/P6260001.jpg

Sweet pea 'Dot Com'

16/06/2012 at 10:27

They look great, and also a great suggestion.

16/06/2012 at 14:37

I am so pleased my comments at the beginning of the month have started something big! There seem to be enough interest to start a sweetpea growing thread so go for it! And hope lots more gardeners are inspired by David K! Enjoy! 

16/06/2012 at 14:58
Yes at last I might be able to pick a bunch of flowers with all the help, looking forward to next year already.
16/06/2012 at 15:44
CathRJ wrote (see)

I am so pleased my comments at the beginning of the month have started something big! There seem to be enough interest to start a sweetpea growing thread so go for it! And hope lots more gardeners are inspired by David K! Enjoy! 

Cath - As I said in a previous post, sorry for hijacking your thread.

Have this bunch of sweet peas, Winner (red) and Just Jenny (purple).

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/DavidKnapper/DSCN0725.jpg

16/06/2012 at 17:22
I remember one year, when we used to have summers, when I used the whole of a 12' border to grow sweet peas and was cutting about 70 a day. This year I I have an obelisk with a dozen or so struggling their way up. They look healthy and green, and are in what should be one of the sunniest spots in the garden. My mange tout and ordinary peas were planted out at the same time and are romping away. I thought all 3 were closely related, just wondering whether David could comment on the discrepancy in growth?
email image
41 to 58 of 58 messages