Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Avocado seedling damage

GregorGregor Posts: 2

I have grown an avocado from seed and have a nice plant growing. It's grown indoors in Ireland. It has been left near an open window recently and there is some damage to the leaves / stalks. Can anyone help? I assume that this might be caused by cold although it hasn't been that cold recently. Can someone help? What should I do? 

• GregorGregor Posts: 2

Sorry I didn't mention that the damage is that the leaves have turned brown at the top. 

• wakeshinewakeshine Posts: 975

Does it maybe need more water? I don't know sorry. I have one growing but it's still just a root coming out the bottom into a bottle of water...well done for getting to the plant stage!!

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 37,883

Hi Gregor. Being near the open window it was possibly in a draught and that would have caused the browning of the leaves.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 37,883

p.s. You do know that this will grow into a mahoosive tree!!!! image

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • tom9760tom9760 Posts: 44

needs a larger pot to start with,the damage looks like the leaves have been wet and the sun have got to them

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

The leaves aren't damaged - new young leaves of avocado plants are often a brown-ish bronzy colour - they'll turn green later on. 

The best way to grow an avocado as a house plant is to reduce it's height by a third about now, to encourage it to branch out and form an attractive shape - then regularly pinch out the tips of the side shoots.

If you leave it to grow on one single stem it'll drop lower leaves and just grow upwards and look rather like an umbrella. 

It won't fruit in this country unless you have a large greenhouse to provide the right light intensity and temperatures. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.