London (change)
Today 11°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
12 messages
03/09/2013 at 08:50

Hi all

Well yesterday, me and hubby were out the back, digging out the foundations fora new raised bed. He thought it wise to dig down about 4ft (?!?!?!??!), as the soil is pretty much all clay. So out came what felt like 6 tonnes of the stuff, most of which have been spread over the bottom bed, some of which has been kept back to mix with horse poo, grit and sand.

So, the bottom bed has a gorgeous Camellia growing in it, and not much else. I sowed a number of biennials end July/beginning August, that I thought would work well there. The border itself gets sunshine from the time the sun comes up until around 1 or 2pm. The seedlings are foxgloves, wall flowers, forget-me-nots and sweet rocket mostly 3 inches tall, growing in their own little pots. Should I plant them out as soon as poss (I heard wallflowers don't much like the cold, will they need protection?).

I was going to scatter love-in-a-mist, annual poppy and cornflowers in October

03/09/2013 at 08:56

I'd plant them out and they'll grow on and toughen up for winter and be ready for next year. Wallflowers can be hit in a cold wet winter but mostly they're OK.

I'd get on and scatter the annuals as well.

03/09/2013 at 08:59

Wallflowers will be fine there as will the other seedlings.  Normally I suggest potting on until bigger but I would plant these out ASAP.  Soil and comditions are warm and those biennials will grow quickly, even now.  Add fish blood and bone ( not near camellia) in planting holes. 

No dont scatter those seeds.  They're for spring side of the year

03/09/2013 at 09:00

Poppies do very well sown now Verdun. Some of my best annuals have been those that have grown through thewinter

03/09/2013 at 09:00

Nut,,our posts crossed.  We agree on 50%.......!!

03/09/2013 at 09:11

Good enough for me Verdun

03/09/2013 at 13:30

So, is that

a) yes, scatter the seeds

or

b) no, don't scatter the seeds? 

lol

03/09/2013 at 14:58

Hardy annuals can be sown either in late summer or spring. If you aren't sure just use half the packet and save the rest for next year. If you stagger the sowing you'll get early and late flowers instead of all together.

03/09/2013 at 15:09

Good idea, Fleurisa

03/09/2013 at 15:11

some things in gardening have a definite right or wrong way. However a lot of things are a matter of opinion and personal preference. People tell you what works for them. I've sown annuals in summer, autumn and spring. they germinate.at any of those times

03/09/2013 at 17:58

Emma

The classic one gardener does one thing and another  does the other.  I think the half and half idea is a good one.  Nothing to lose.

03/09/2013 at 18:01

Emma

The classic one gardener does one thing and another  does the other.  I think the half and half idea is a good one.  Nothing to lose.

I prob would sow in trays to overwinter....even though it's mild down here I feel seedlings have a better chance indoors over winter.  There ??ou go.....a third option

email image
12 messages