11 messages
23/07/2014 at 11:30

I'm thinking about bamboo as a screen where NDN has ripped out a load of tall shrubs and trees so I can regain some privacy.

My original thought was trees (eg;amelanchia, acer viper, liquidambar, alnus, liriodendron, metasequoia all available at local GC £39 each), but I am tempted by bamboos - cost and quicker growth.

Has anyone got advice on which bamboos would be suitable, tall but 'less' invasive? I want to cover a stretch of about 5-6 fence panels, there is a trampoline in front which I'd prefer not to move (hence bamboo rather than tree). The rest of the area has a play tower / climbing / swing in front but has some room (1m 30cm at narrowest) behind it and then a shed. The compost bins sit here at present but will be moved I think.

I'll post a picture ...

23/07/2014 at 11:32
http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/53477.jpg?width=350

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/53476.jpg?width=350

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/53474.jpg?width=350

PS - the rest of the garden isn't this messy!

23/07/2014 at 12:12

..my advice would be to think in terms of something a little smaller than what you have in mind... you don't really need huge trees or bamboo's for that situation... large deciduous and evergreen shrubs, with a small tree mixed in here and there...

..as for Bamboo's, if this is really what you want, I would only consider clump formers such as Phyllostachys aurea or nigra....and Fargesia robusta or rufa...  on no account plant Bissettii or any other type... also I would not plant any Bamboo closer to a fence boundary than 3 foot away, as I would need all round access to chop off spreading culms, as even clumpers do need a bit of control after 5 years or so...

..although control is easy for these types...

..incidentally, I have no idea what NDN means here... to me it would mean what American Indians often refer to themselves as...lol... NDN = Indian... or Native American...

23/07/2014 at 12:17

MrsG.......as has been said in the previous post (and several previous to that I think  ), you really do need to do some careful research on this one if you want to avoid the pitfalls.

I think someone suggested a good book on the subject in the Bamboo thread.........may be an idea to arm yourself with as much info as possible so that you will at least have an idea of which type of bamboo may do the job you require of it.

As to costs, decent bamboos can be pretty expensive and some of the trees you mentioned might well compare pricewise ?

23/07/2014 at 12:19

Salino........posts crossed

23/07/2014 at 13:28
Thanks salino & Phillipa
(NDN is next door neighbour salino).
23/07/2014 at 14:22

lol.!..oh I see ..sorry...I thought neighbour had to be in there somewhere...

23/07/2014 at 14:30

Salino......I wondered too but was too feeble to ask  Perhaps some of us ( certainly me anyway ) need a rundown on abbreviations ?  At least I have OH taped now but some of the others are a bit of a puzzle.

23/07/2014 at 15:49

I bought my bamboos from an expert who grows them in his garden and sells them, digs them up for you.  Cheap as well,  but the point being I could see where they got to in x years time plus got great advice on which types.  I love them, but you need the right one in the right place. 

23/07/2014 at 15:57

Hmmm, think my heart is with tree/s really.

Been to local GC (garden centre!) and they have a unlabelled weeping willow , huge already, only £20 ... want it, want it, want it .... will cause problems won't it? Are there regulations how near they can be to buildings? How much space around it, can I stop the lower branches growing? Can I plant at the sides, how far away? Tempted to go back and buy it, shop closes in an hour...

23/07/2014 at 16:44

Ok ok I've come to my senses

Trees it will be but not willow

Any advice on those I named in my first post?

I'm thinking a conical cherry (prunus amanogawa) to the left of the trampoline, an amelanchier in the middle of the picture and a liquidambar to the right of the composting.

Salino, height is definitely needed to gain privacy as the main garden is quite a bit higher than this area.

email image
11 messages