London (change)
Today 13°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 7°C
17 messages
13/05/2013 at 11:18

Hi, I planted a bare root rose that I bought from Jersey Plants about 6 weeks ago (around easter time). I soaked the roots before planting and dug the hole to the right depth and width, infilled with soil and compost mix and watered well. I was also careful to make sure that te graft was above the soil to prevent die-back.

But it doesn't seem to have grown at all since planting, the other roses in my garden, including some cuttings from a relatives that I planted recently have grown and look more lively. Shoul dI be worried about my bare root? It is a climber. I may be paranoid and all the growth is going on below the ground ATM.

Thanks

13/05/2013 at 11:32

Try snipping a bit of the branch. If it's still green and moist, it might still come up. If it's dry and brittle it's dead and can be discarded.

13/05/2013 at 11:54

It has three stalks on it, should I try this on all three? They were covered with wax when I received it.

13/05/2013 at 12:00

Does it have any buds at all?  If not, I'd cut them all back to a mark on all three stems where a bud would be if it had any as if you were pruning it, and see what the insides of  the stems are like 

13/05/2013 at 12:11

Hi i have had that problem to, although i planted mine way back late september. A few weeks ago with no sign of growth I added some blood, fish and bone plant food around the plant and gently mixed it in to the soil. Nervously waited, and bingo last week a bud has appeared and it appears to be growing well, even with the cold winds of Northumberland at the mo!!

Good luck

13/05/2013 at 12:34

OK, seems I have a couple of options then, I'm not sure where it will bud from as I can't see any obviously knobly bits on it, I will cut a half inch off each stalk to see if the wood inside is green,  and I will fertilise, see what happens. If it looks dead I will complain to Jersey Plants.

13/05/2013 at 13:59

Saltski - how tall are the stalks? You might need to cut quite a bit more than half an inch to get back to live wood. 

14/05/2013 at 09:49

They're about 8inches at the moment.

17/05/2013 at 16:19

I too am slightly worried )probably prematurely) I got 2 bare root roses from David Austin, only p,lanted 3 days ago but took great care, good deep holes plenty of manure,micro rizal funghi, watered well,...chopped an inch off each stem and they certainly don't look green, I even planted within an hour of delivery as postman came with fortuitous timing... Another thing I'd like bit of advice on is a climbing rose I bought (in a pot ) a few weeks ago, it's Mme Gregoire Staechelin, I'm short of places to put it,none are ideal.. it could go in a large pot and climb up a south facong wall (though area bit shady esp lower down) or by a low wall and try to train more horizontally (only few inches vertisally possible here, maybe 12 if I put a bit of trellis up , this also south facing) any advice? sorry if I've posted this in wrong place

17/05/2013 at 22:33

Louise - I wouldn't worry yet - if you only planted them 3 days ago they will take some time to settle in - I wouldn't expect much sign of life above ground for  a good couple of weeks (especially since the last few days have been quite cold).

As for your climber, it would probably be happier in the ground than in a pot - your low wall option sounds like it could be a winner

19/05/2013 at 09:09

Thanks chicky, just read this particular rose likes to grow up..got another wall bit higher but has to be rebuilt in next year,v old and buckling, may pop in pot til then

18/06/2013 at 20:09

Thanks for the continued advice. But something is happening, there are leaves emerging from the ground. Now I'm a bit worried that even though there is growth I think it may be from the root stock and not the cultivar. I have asked Jersey Plants for some advice.

18/06/2013 at 20:46

I've seen those bare root roses with green wax on, but never bought one - do you chip all the wax off before you plant them, or is it something helpful?

18/06/2013 at 20:50

..what you can do now is to remove some of the soil around the base to expose the root and see where the shoot is coming from, whether from the root system - in which case it will be a sucker - or if it's above the graft then it's the rose it's meant to be...

incidentally, when planting roses, especially climbers and ramblers, it's best to plant the graft union about 2 inches below soil level, not above it... I do this will all roses... you usually get much stronger plants, and more wind resistant, as a result...

18/06/2013 at 21:29

Of course, if it is a rambler rather than a true climber it is very likely to be on its own roots and not grafted. 

Some suppliers sell climbing roses on their own rootstock too.

18/06/2013 at 21:43

..I might disagree a little with you there, Dovefromabove... as far as I'm aware most suppliers in this country supply roses grafted onto rootstocks,   as an example, Peter Beales roses, one of the largest, grafts onto Rosa Laxa or Multiflora for all their roses, regardless of type... I expect Austin does the same... 

for us home gardeners though it's not difficult to propagate roses from cuttings to grow on their own roots... usually...

18/06/2013 at 21:53

I'm happy to be wrong Salino - it's a very long time since I was given that information  by a professional rosegrower now no longer with us - things have probably changed since then 

email image
17 messages