London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
21 to 28 of 28 messages
07/02/2013 at 23:08

They are lovely just shows you cant beleive everything the books tell you.

08/02/2013 at 10:43

The two ramblers were 3 years old. First year little, 2nd year neat and tidy, 3rd year got going! The Pilgrim I think was 2. I also have a Shropshire Lad climber in a pot, but I don't have a photo. I think you can cut off a few inches of the thicker roots. They need the fine fibrous roots for feeding, but if they are babies they may not have many yet. I don't have gravel in my plant saucers because I live in Dordogne and summers can be very hot and dry so I like a bit of water in the saucer. But if I lived in England last summer I think gravel would have been a good idea. You'll probably get a better answer from someone else.

08/02/2013 at 11:32

I planted my DA rose, Gertrude Jekyll, against my fence in November and already there are shoots about an inch long.  We havent had any snow at all (not even over the last couple of weeks) and very rarely get a hard frost (live in Cornwall right on the north coast) so hopefully the new growth will be fine. 

As I have planted it as a climber to grow up against a fence I remembered to plant it leaning towards the fence and will look to install the eyes and wire when the weather gets better (and when I can pursuade the hubby to do so - under my supervision of course!). 

Once its established I plan to also grow a large flowered purple clematis up through the rose.  I think the combination of the deep pink with the purple clematis against my fence which is painted a soft sage green will look fab.  Eventually planning to grow it across the fence above a bench to get the most of the scent.

08/02/2013 at 20:51

Try Clematis etolie violette.

08/02/2013 at 22:18

Great - always pays to contact supplier if you are not sure 

09/02/2013 at 11:50

I would use shards, just to keep hole open for drainage, I doubt it matters about the green but you could give them a scrub to make sure.

Bjay 

09/02/2013 at 19:00

Cheer up. It's happens to all of us. I have forgotten the fungi stuff and had to start again and last time I planted rose spilled it all over my pink wheelbarrow,

Just think be worth it in long run 

Expect to see photos of your efforts in the summer

Bjay

11/02/2013 at 21:05

I usually stand all pots whatever is in them on 2 bricks with a space between in the winter so that the water flows away. Saucers in summer, but if your roses are too heavy to keep moving I would support them on those feet (packs of 3) you can buy at GC and make sure kept well watered in summer.

email image
21 to 28 of 28 messages