London (change)
Today 16°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 8°C
17 messages
26/11/2012 at 12:50

I have two bare root roses -  one standard, one climber, delivered a couple of days ago.  Due to weather/ground conditions I'm unable to plant them; I'm told that if planting has to be delayed until the Spring I can leave the trees in a tub of water in a frost free environment - could you confirm this is so?  Also any further advice on keeping them 'safe' would be welcome.   I have little knowledge of growing or caring for roses.

Thank you.

26/11/2012 at 12:54

Sounds like potential drowning. How about pots of compost?

26/11/2012 at 12:57

I have just had some delivered. Theycan't be planted out bcause of the ground and Iwill be heeling them in, means half burying them in a raised bed that is not toowet. I guess you could do the same in large pots.

I wouldn't keep them in water

26/11/2012 at 12:58

I can confirm that advice is nonsense-who told you you can leave them in a tub of water????-100% guaranteed way to lose them

If you can't plant them immediately and want to leave it till spring -plant them in pots.

It doesn't need to be frost-free-roses are are hardy plants -but do protect the pots from freezing if we get a prolonged cold spell.

26/11/2012 at 13:44

Even with my limited knowledge, I thought keeping them in water was strange advice which is why I asked the experts!   I do have some large flowerpots both plastic and clay which would accommodate these roses and will visit the garden centre for some suitable compost.  They can live in a sheltered spot at the rear of the garage until I can get them planted.

Thank you all very much.

26/11/2012 at 16:26

Put them in a pot and cover with compost and water - they will be fine till spring.

27/11/2012 at 11:43

Pots Pots Pots!!! You'll definately lose them if immersed in water.

When potting them put some crocks/stones at the bottom to aid drainage, then fill the pots using 50% John Innes number 2 or 3 which is soil based, and 50% normal compost.

if you decide to leave them in pots, then make sure they are at least 2 feet deep and 2 feet wide. The size of the growth is relative to the amount of room you give the roots to grow in. So the larger the pot the better! and dont forget to sprinkle a handful of fertilizer in early spring like Blood and fish bone or Top rose, and don't let the compost dry out.

Best of luck Pinkpeony

28/11/2012 at 11:36

Pots and compost ready for the roses - thank you all once again .

Rose lady, thank you  - the roses were chosen for specific places in the garden so they'll be planted out when the time comes.  If I'm successful with these two then perhaps I'll try more........

28/11/2012 at 12:34

Rose Lady

I have just had a ground cover rose 'Worcestershire' The plan is to put it in an old chimney pot so that it sprays out, The bottom is set in the ground, not sealed and I would line it with an old compost bag. Any idea if this will work?

30/11/2012 at 19:27

Hi Bjay

The rose is known to spread quite a bit, and is gorgeous. As long as the chimney isnt to tall, im sure it will look stunning. Great idea to keep it confined because like mint it will spread out.

30/11/2012 at 20:20

I'd like more roses. I don't have many at all and they don't seem to do well here. I've got a few more over the last year or two but only Charles de Mills and one of the rugosas looks worth having. What should I look for? I don't have very good soil in spite of compost and horse droppings. I'd like some of those romantic looking bush types, plenty of scent but easy going and no blackspot or rust. Rust is well established here. If I try to grow hollyhocks even the seed leaves get rust. Any suggestions?

30/11/2012 at 20:34

For some ideas get the classic roses(Peter Beales) catalogue as it clearly states those that will tolerate less than ideal positions. I found it very helpful when plannng mine in this new garden, with difficult soil and shade.

30/11/2012 at 20:39

Thanks Bjay, I'll get a catalogue.

01/12/2012 at 10:48

http://www.classicroses.co.uk/catalogue.php

Sorry I should have posted this yesterday

01/12/2012 at 10:57

Thanks, I've ordered it. What an amazing collection. I did a brief search and was glad to see the rugosa group in those suitable for poorer soils.

03/12/2012 at 13:31
How much shade can roses tolerate?
03/12/2012 at 13:36

I've seen quoted 4 hours sun a ady,but if you have somewhere North facing they maybe won't get thta. There are rtoses that are shade tolerant, I have just planted aclimber to see how it fairs.

email image
17 messages