Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Bare Root Wallflowers

I have bought some bare root wallflowers from our local Council's Nursery.  They always grow too many plants for Harrogate's parks and gardens, and so they sell off the surplus to the public.   image

As I haven't grown bare root wallflowers before, I was wondering what to put in the planting holes.  Also should I mulch them once planted?  Some will be going in the borders (clay soil with remnants of mushroom compost)  and others will go in pots.

Looking forward to a bit of help  - if you haven't all disappeared in the direction of Verdun's house!   image

Happy

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Not too rich and wet I think. If they get too lush they're not as hardy

They will grow in very well drained poor soil and  be perennial there.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • When can Wallflowers be moved from one place to another in the garden

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Pinch them out to make them bushy when you plant them out.
  • Thank you one and all. 

Verdun, what in the way of soil or compost should I use for the plants going into pots?

• Thanks Verdun!

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Don't be too careful about not breaking the roots. I think they belong to the cabbage family so they are quite indifferent to fairly rough treatment.
  • Wallflowers all planted.  The variety I got is called Giant Pink.  Disappointed to now discover that Sarah Raven says they are not scented, although several online companies that sell them say they are.  image  Has anyone on here grown them?