Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Bearded Iris

PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

Any experts out there? Just read an answer on another site where the chap replied that the rhizome which flowered would not flower again so should be discarded. Now I am almost positive that some of my dwarf forms have flowered on every rhizome, every year since they were planted. They have never been split as such either.

What do you think about that idea? It is a new one on me.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

New one on me as well Berghill but have to admit I haven't marked them to checkimage

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

That sounds wrong to me.  I've always understood that over the years the original rhizome eventually gets too old to flower well, but by then it's produced loads of new rhizomes - that's why we lift and divide every three to four years and discard the old central rhizome http://www.bhg.com/gardening/flowers/perennials/how-to-grow-maintain-and-divide-bearded-iris/

The rhizomes certainly flower more than once.   I'm sure Wonky would agree with me - she was taught about Bearded Irises by the daughter of  Ellis Carpenter, the who was the breeder of the beautiful iris Boxford Spice.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,066

I agree with you chaps.  Here it can take a season or two after division for them to hit flowering stride and one year I had to give one slow group a stern talking to.  Flower next year or you're out!  They duly obliged.

If I changed them every year I'd never get any flowers.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

Well, as I said, it is a new one on me. Some of ours only have one big rhizome and rarely make new ones and they flower each year.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

I think that someone, somewhere along the line, has misunderstood something ...

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.