London (change)
Today 9°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 10°C
5 messages
13/04/2012 at 19:19

Can you tell me when to put in bedding plants so they look their best at the end of June.  I am having a garden party and want the garden to look its best and be full of colour.

14/04/2012 at 20:23
Hi there. Depending on which part of the country you live in determines when the best time is to plant bedding plants. Generally the very end of May to the beginning of June Is the recommended time to do this. If you have a greenhouse you can keep your plants in there until then, putting them outside during the day to harden off and bringing them in over night. Cover them up at night with newspaper to give them that extra bit of protection. If you don't have anywhere to keep them until planting time I would put off buying them until the middle of May unless of course you have grown them yourself.
14/04/2012 at 20:34

i agree with nidge..anyway once in the groung they will thrive..concentrate on beefing up the beds they are going into in the meantime..good luck with your party!!

14/04/2012 at 22:35

Thanks for the advice. I am looking forward to the party and pray it does not rain. 

Many thanks

15/04/2012 at 19:28

I'd check the roots to see how congested they are, first - if they are, potting them in to  bigger pots/cells will stop them getting sick and dying. 6-8 weeks is a long time to keep their roots from spreading out. Its like childrens shoes, little feet need space to grow, the same applies with roots

By the time it comes to put them in, they'll have doubled in size and looked like they've been in for ages.

I've just done the same with my hanging basket plants, btw.

email image
5 messages