Start a new thread

Hi, i am a novice gardener, and would like to ask, if it is too early  to put my hanging baskets out. i planted them up with, trailing lobelia and verbena, can i also plant out my sweet peas.Any info would be gratefully received.

Hi. I'm a novice gardener as well and would be interested in your replies. I have to plant up a memorial garden at the school this Friday. I created it a few years ago in memory of pupils at our secondary school that have tragically lost their lives whilst being part of the school. I like to plant a Rose with a small headstone in their honour and this Friday ,a parent is coming to do this in memory of her daughter. Sadly, this will make the 5th Rose in honour of a child so I must be able to make the space bright and cheery. Red, White and blue I thought would be an ideal theme this year.....but are petunias likely to die if they go out in 5 days? Can anyone suggest any hardier bedding please? Any advice would be gratefully received
sotongeoff
elizabeth cooley wrote (see)

Hi, i am a novice gardener, and would like to ask, if it is too early  to put my hanging baskets out. i planted them up with, trailing lobelia and verbena, can i also plant out my sweet peas.Any info would be gratefully received.

Sweet peas yes.

Hanging baskets-you are a bit early it is still cold at night-but you need to start hardening thm off gradually-put them out in the daytime and protect them at night.

Do this for a couple of weeks and they will be fine.

sotongeoff
Mollycat2 wrote (see)
Hi. I'm a novice gardener as well and would be interested in your replies. I have to plant up a memorial garden at the school this Friday. I created it a few years ago in memory of pupils at our secondary school that have tragically lost their lives whilst being part of the school. I like to plant a Rose with a small headstone in their honour and this Friday ,a parent is coming to do this in memory of her daughter. Sadly, this will make the 5th Rose in honour of a child so I must be able to make the space bright and cheery. Red, White and blue I thought would be an ideal theme this year.....but are petunias likely to die if they go out in 5 days? Can anyone suggest any hardier bedding please? Any advice would be gratefully received

If I have understood this correctly you just want to put the plants out by this Friday-you are not expecting them to be in flower?

You could put petunias out as part of the scheme but will need to protect them for a few weeks-perhaps with some garden fleece?

Just a thought.

Alina W

If you want plants in flower, you could get some forget-me-nots, which are available in blue, pink and white. They are perfectly hardy, if short-lived, but will self-seed. For `a stronger pink you could try some double daisies. In a few weeks both will be done and you can replace them with standard bedding.

Advertisement

Great - thanks for the sound advice and for taking time to reply
A great plant is the primula, still giving a good splash of colour for beds, lots oc colour choices too. Maybe with some violas, or bellis daisy to fill them out.

thanks for the advice.i  covered them in fleece last night so hopefully they will be ok.