Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Begonia Aricot shades

little-annlittle-ann Posts: 878
i have ordered some as plug plants for my hanging baskets and am wondering if its possible to collect the seeds and how hard it i might be to get them to germinate net spring. I am sure one of you clever people will know

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

Written in the OP !  ... Begonias.....

Brumbull wrote (see)

what plants have you ordered little ann ?  are they begonias ?

These plugs may form tubers by the end of the year, you can save these, dry them off and restart again next year with those. Seeds? I dont think that works with these.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

Lyn is spot on-they will form tubers that you can store-not all will grow again-now in my 2nd year of tubers from plants bought in 2011-from the original 100 have about 20 tubers still-weevils,rot etc did for the restimage

Still in a sense free plants thoughimage

• Yes, I agree.  Trailing begonias will form quite good tubers by the end of the year.  Just make sure you keep them dry over the winter then plant up again in the spring.

• little-annlittle-ann Posts: 878
    thank you i will try to hang on to the tubers
  • Jazzy2Jazzy2 Posts: 36
    Hi

I have tried over a number of years to save tubers from 1st year trailing begonias

With zero success, dry them, remove compost etc,store in a cool dry place, all to no avail,any advice would be appreciated.
  • also getting begonias plugs this year. see how if I can keep them for nxt year.

• DaintinessDaintiness Posts: 988

I keep mine from year to year. I do  it the lazy way - I remove the dying foliage and then let the tubers dry out in their pots under shelter. I check for any dreaded vine weevils around them before putting them in the garage under some cardboard for insulation until spring.

Then I dig them up and start them in fresh compost in the greenhouse disgarding any soft or rotten ones. Usually have a good percentage that survive. Hopefully I'll start them off ths weekend -- I can't wait any longer and it will be in the house this year too - now, that's a first!