Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Begonia bulbs

Natalie LNatalie L Posts: 125
Hi all I've just bought some plants from the garden centre, it's sunny here today. I've also bought 4 begonia bulbs, the lady said I could plant straight in the ground, is that correct? Would they be ok in a shaded border or would they be better at the front of my house where the sun is? Thanks

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

I had just written identical post, then lost it somewhere!

heres a photo of one of mine just sprouting.

i cut them all up this year so have loads, I don't even like them but they were mum and dads favs.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• How long do they take to sprout from planting?

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

Yes, I think you may be right. Don't usually lose a comment, change them sometimes to avoid getting bannedimage

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Andy LeedsAndy Leeds Posts: 518
    The other reply was on the 'anyone done any gardening today' (or whatever it's called)?
  • Kitty 2Kitty 2 Posts: 5,150

I think Natalie has posted the same question multiple times, I answered it on another thread titled "bulbs".

My photos not as good as Lyn's though. image

• Natalie LNatalie L Posts: 125
    Thank you everyone, clearly the lady at the garden centre didn't know much, she said to plant them 3 times their depth in the ground. Anyway I'll find myself a tray to put them in, I'll get them sorted tomorrow, how far apart do they need to be?
  • Natalie LNatalie L Posts: 125
    When will they be a reasonable sized plant? Will they come back every year once planted in the ground? I was also going to ask people's advice on some other plants I bought today. They are small so will I have put them on the window sill in a spare bedroom. I'll attach a pic