London (change)
Today 15°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 17°C / 7°C
3 messages
27/05/2013 at 14:50

I bought some Begonia tubers from a nursery  , 2-3 inches wide , rounded one side and dried up what look like roots on the other where it dips in the centre. How are these planted . Have been told the rounded bit at the bottom and the top ( dinted , hollow at the top) and not to cover completly with compost . -On 2 of them some pinky soots coming from the hollowed out centre. Is this the top ? and do I need to soak the night beforeplease ?

27/05/2013 at 14:57

The hollow bit goes on top. leave the top exposed with the rest inthe compost. It is fairly late to be planting them but, they might flower. Start them in a pot in a warm place to give them a good start. Then put them out later in the summer.

27/05/2013 at 17:47

Thanks punkdoc, talk about instant reply!!!!!!

I just love this forum ,

Have set them just as you ve said ,  The begonias were reduced 6 for a £1 in Brigg Garden center I have had loads of shrubs , plants , bulbs from here and have been more than happy .   The lady at the checkout said I could save them for next year if I managed to get them going this year . So I thought at that price Id take the chance - once I found out how to plant !   Thanks again  punkdoc.

email image
3 messages