Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

begonia's what s the best ?

granmagranma Posts: 1,933

Each year I have taken out my begonia  corms from the pots outside.kept them in the greenhouse .and started them off again. But. I'm wondering now I have more room in the greenhouse could I bring them in , leaving the plants in the large pots  just to die down naturally. if they weren't watered would this be the same , after all the compost would dry around the  comes . 

• DaintinessDaintiness Posts: 988

That's what I usually do. However this year I lost all my tubers to vine weevil imageThey had, unbeknown to me, spent their winter feeding on my begonias. I am going to drench all my pots with vine weevil killer (when the rain stops long enough) in preparation for the autumn move against the house wall/greenhouse!!

What's the difference between tuberous begonias and those grown from corms? Is it just the terminology or are we dealing with different species?

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

I do exactly as Verdun says there.

Dont forget Gran is oop norf so maybe hers have finished.

I can't even grow then outside, mine are all in the conservatory and still blooming well.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

I see what you mean...I think of crocuses and crocrosmia as corms as they grow new baby corms on top and potatoes and dahias as tubers as you say longer and larger. Always heard the term 'tuberous' begonias and assumed they were all tubers...image

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

Tuberous begonias are actually enlarged hypocotyls (seedling stems) as are cyclamen just to confuse the issue further. image  Really rolls off the tongue doesn't it!

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.

Wow!! I'll get you some cream for that! image