London (change)
Today 16°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 10°C
41 to 54 of 54 messages
08/07/2014 at 14:52

Thank you Lyn, that's this evenings job then.  Yours are beautiful.  I've never grown. Begonias before (as you will see from the rest if the thread), I always thought they were quite difficult to grow, but if I can do it anyone can 

Love the orange (or is it tangerine?) one 

Lyn
08/07/2014 at 21:59

Thank you, the orange is lovely, but as I said,  they are inside so no weather damage.

These corms have been used for years, when its time to dry them off come back and someone will help you.

Its easy to keep them from year to year. 

08/07/2014 at 23:06

I think if I read back to the beginning someone has told me, if not I will be asking don't worry  I need to get a replacement red one I think as it seems you have died. I'm also going to get some orange ones for next year 

27/03/2015 at 15:11

Can anyone please help?! I've put my corms in their pots and covered them very lightly with compost so you can still see the corms - when do I start watering them? Do I keep the compost moist or just leave them until they shoot and then water them? Thank you!

Edd
27/03/2015 at 15:45

Begonias don’t handle cold temperatures and frost well, so wait until at least one week after the final frost. I would give them a bit more cover with soil free peat moss compost . They like acidic conditions.

Most plants need a bit of extra watering after first being planted, in order to avoid what is known as ‘transplant shock’. Give your begonias a heavy watering, so that the soil is moist but not drenched. The flowers will need to be watered every few days from there on. Begonias don’t tolerate heavy watering so you might have to bring them in if perlonged rain is due. 

Give them a feed about once a month.

27/03/2015 at 15:51

Thank you Edd - I should have mentioned my begonias are in a potting shed - I won't take them outside til the last frosts, I just wondered if I keep them damp as they get no rain water?

Edd
27/03/2015 at 15:56

Yes. Keep them damp but don’t worry about keeping the pot constantly wet you don't want them to drown.

27/03/2015 at 15:58

Thank you!

27/03/2015 at 16:40

Thank you Edd - I should have mentioned my begonias are in a potting shed - I won't take them outside til the last frosts, I just wondered if I keep them damp as they get no rain water?

27/03/2015 at 17:04

Useful thread for me.  I have overwintered two begonias for the first time.  I have followed the advice on here so hopefully they will start to sprout.  My only concern is that it was quite late when I put them in pots in the greenhouse so I hope It wasn't too late.

27/03/2015 at 17:06

Over winter them every year, have started them off late this year but should be OK

27/03/2015 at 18:52

Hmmm I'm not sure if I've done the right thing - I put them in compost in Feb but only just watered them on Edd's advice today! Oh well this gardening malarkey is a learning curve! Love my new hobby though!

27/03/2015 at 19:05

Never stop learning I find - keeps me going

Lyn
27/03/2015 at 20:49

Just did mine, in the greenhouse at the moment but I will bring them in and put on a widowsill, or in the conservatory if its get a bit warmer. 

email image
41 to 54 of 54 messages