London (change)
Today 10°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 10°C
21 to 38 of 38 messages
01/01/2013 at 23:22

Well, everyone who visits says it's a lovely garden.  Real hit and miss, I'm afraid.  I see a plant, buy it and hope for the best.  Not always been successful but, as the saying goes, you learn by your mistakes.  I am a fair weather gardener, so only look from the windows at this time of the year, plotting what to do next.  Have a variety of plants and have only in the past 2 years, since joining a gardening forum, kept a note of what I buy.  The other many years' plants, I haven't got a clue.  I love it though!  Have a pond with about 10 Koi in it and a few goldfish, courtesy of grandchildren and loads of frogs as and when.  Oh, and it's not showing off, we really like to see other people's accomplishments.  So, give it a go.

01/01/2013 at 23:39

Verdun, why don't you ask that question about people's garden on a new thread? I bet you'll get a good response, I think people like talking about their gardens. I do, anyway. I'd like to see photos of your garden too.

02/01/2013 at 09:58

Yes, Verdun; go for it; it beats talking about aches and pains!

02/01/2013 at 12:16

Hello gardeners, I,m back from the north and I saw your thread about Blue Flower.

My wife say "yeah, I know the best!" And she goes outside and come back with the Blossom of our hedge. Thai people make a joke about this flower because of shape and also of the name. I'll going to make picture and she write to you:

What is that flower behind your ear? In a Thai village, the answer might be that it is a jasmine, hibiscus or butterfly pea flower. You often see women or men in Thai villages wearing flowers behind their ears on special occasions. For me personally, my answer would be that it is a blue butterfly pea flower. In addition to wearing a blue butterfly pea flower(dok anchan) or Clitoria ternatea – behind my ear while working in my garden, I would like to introduce you to its properties as a Thai culinary flower. Butterfly pea is an annual vine that is native to the land in southeast Asia near the equator. Thais love dok anchan for it beautiful unique looks and for its culinary uses as a food coloring and as an edible flower. I use dok anchan in my Thai cooking at home, shredding it into a fine ribbon and adding it to rice salad, or for making a tea, or adding blue color extract to steamed jasmine rice. But above and beyond all of these uses, our ancestors recognized it for its medicinal benefits, which include its anti-depression, anti-inflammatory, and anti-cancer properties. The blue concentrate added to hair products also promotes healthy hair growth.

In Thailand I grew butterfly pea plants on a bamboo trellis, but often enjoyed the harvest from friends’ gardens. In the Thai village lifestyle in the old days we shared or exchanged our surpluses with one another. The vines can produce many flowers a day, so often they went unused. This meant that at any moment there were always flowers waiting for you in someone’s garden and we helped ourselves when needed. The pigment in the flowers comes from anthocyanins, and has long been widely used in Thai cuisines for blue or purple food coloring for butterfly pea sticky rice. In Thailand, any foods prepared with shades of blue, purple or pink come from dok anchan. In addition, southeast Asia uses the flowers in traditional Ayurvedic medicine.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/17250.jpg?width=825&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/17251.jpg?width=826&height=350&mode=max

Best greetings from Thailand, ThaiGer+Saipin

02/01/2013 at 12:22

Sorry,I forgot, if you want have a look at my album you'll find many new pictures from the last week (4ha more for Dragon Fruit). my album , no password.

02/01/2013 at 13:33

That is a lovely blue flower, Thaiger. It seems to have many uses, we have pea flowers, though now some are for eating the pods and some (sweetpeas) are for their wonderful scent. We won't have any in our gardens though until the summer.

02/01/2013 at 13:37

Welcome back ThaiGer. Your photos are beautiful, what a lovely country you live in. It is so different from Europe. Most of the plants you have will not grow here. It was amazing to see so many wild orchids growing on trees. Here we buy them in pots for house plants, quite expensive. We can grow camelias and magnolias like yours out in the garden.

I will send some photos of Dordogne in France where I live. I tried to make an album like yours with photobucket, but it didn't work. I don't always know how to use the computer.

02/01/2013 at 14:56

ThaiGer, That blue is sensational.

02/01/2013 at 15:56

...yes. I never drink alcohol (don't like the taste and the smell) and I can tell you, that we have in Thailand 1 million alcoholics!!! This flower is given in all hospitals as tea or soup or for eating raw for stop the spreading of liver cancer (Zirrhose,german). Greetings, ThaiGer.

02/01/2013 at 16:11

ThaiGer, this is the Dordogne river, a

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y487/Busy-Lizzie/IMG_3299_zps8a6cf314.jpg

bout an hour south of where I live.

02/01/2013 at 16:14

Dordogne countryside from Beynac.

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y487/Busy-Lizzie/IMG_3291_zpsaf6e9a68.jpg

02/01/2013 at 16:16

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y487/Busy-Lizzie/IMG_2286_zpsd6acf4ac.jpg

A lake where we swim sometimes, in Dordogne, France.

02/01/2013 at 16:20

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y487/Busy-Lizzie/LeCavouxTuscanyChezCeaMay2010010_zps082a88e9.jpg

Part of my garden.  I hope Verdun doesn't mind his thread about blue flowers being used to send photos to ThaiGer, but perhaps, Verdun, you would like to see them too.

02/01/2013 at 16:45

Busy-Lizzie, lovely photos - read about them on the Fork Handles thread. Thank you for sharing them with us 

02/01/2013 at 16:56

...oooh, Busy-Lizzie, you can verry pride in your homeland and your wonderful garden. I have only a wild garden, you have a Botanical Garden!!, ThaiGer, and thanks for looking at your pics.

02/01/2013 at 19:42
Busy lizzie, no its good to open out a thread so go for it. I like the orange and blue in your picture. Euphorbia griffithi fire glow? Isn't t great that we can talk n compare with gardens in France, Thailand, etc. like your post too ThaiGer.
02/01/2013 at 19:45

Verdun

You do know how to post pictures I take it?-only your reluctance seems odd-I too would like too see some examples of your endeavours

Just asking

03/01/2013 at 13:33
Lovely photos Thaiger and thank you for sharing your home and family with us.

Busy-Lizzie your garden, or the part of it shown, makes mine look like a postage stamp! Envious in one way, but I don't think I could cope with a huge garden these days. Have enough trouble coping with what I have got!

Verdun, I hope your absence means you are busy taking snaps of your garden to show. Can't wait!!
email image
21 to 38 of 38 messages