Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Best evergreen climbers for trellis

emmapynnemmapynn Posts: 65

hi all - I have bought some fan trellis for my garden fence ! which evergreen, pretty climbers would you recommend ?

if I opted for clematis, can you put two clematis on it together so one flowers in the summer and one in it autumn ?

ideally something perennial that will keep coming back !

thanks in advance !

Last edited: 25 May 2016 14:58:56

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 37,883

Hi. Yes to your option re the clematis. Some winter flowering clematis are evergreen too. Clematis cirrhosa 'Freckles' is a good one.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • RedwingRedwing Posts: 1,511

Be very careful about planting a spring and an autumn clematis together.  They have different pruning requirements and if they are intermingling this will be impossible to achieve.  I would plant them side by side if you want and if there is enough room but don't allow them to twine round each other.

Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
  • emmapynnemmapynn Posts: 65

can I plant jasmine and clematis together ? if I can how many pots of each would I need ? I have 5 fans of trellis would you put one pot of each per trellis (very new to gardening)

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 37,883

Do you mean as in the same pot? Perhaps not a good tdea.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • emmapynnemmapynn Posts: 65

sorry for the bad explanation - they will be going into the ground next to a fence !