London (change)
Today 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
1 to 20 of 64 messages
28/08/2012 at 14:27

I love my Pink Brandywine tomatoes ... of all the many varieties I've grown they have the very best flavour... but Boy ! do they make you work for it !

Sometimes they need hand pollination ( and let's face it life is too short...). They are very susceptible to disease and not that prolific. Does anyone know of a tomato with the flavour but less temperamental ???

28/08/2012 at 14:42

Yes, the authentic Pink Brandywine is a temperamental beast. I don't find them more susceptible to disease but production can be low. They also won't set fruit in any sort of ongoing heat or humidity. I had to grow them as an autumn crop when I was back in Sydney.

Soldacki, a Polish variety, is a rival for PB in terms of taste, as is Marianna's Peace, originally from Bohemia, now the Czech Republic. Soldacki being the more reliable producer of these two but neither as temperamental as PB. PM me if you want seeds for either or both.

28/08/2012 at 14:43

Hello Joanna

The one variety I like is Gardeners Delight, very prolific,good flavour, no hassle

28/08/2012 at 14:45

Love tne brandywine. Managed to grow some in the greenhouse this year, absolutely wonderful. One tomato weighed over a pound. I found that they grow quite tall and can be difficult to support but well worth all the trouble. Also grew some pomodora cant remember where i got the seeds from and they were just as good.

28/08/2012 at 14:50

Thanks italophile.... don't know those 2.Are they large like PB ?Will they grow ok in the uk in a cold greenhouse ? We corresponded earlier in the season on leaf spots ... the incresed ventilation has helped a lot. Would love seeds if answers are yes to my questions

28/08/2012 at 14:53

Maud...was the variety called pomodora or was is just an Italian tomato ? sounds good. Here I am planning next years while still up to my ears in this crop !

28/08/2012 at 14:59

Cant remember the name but i tkink it was on a stand that had all Italien seeds in Wyevales. Could only get the brandywine from thompson and mogan. I wish i could have them all year round but we certainly make the most of them in the summer.

28/08/2012 at 16:12

jo, Soldacki and Marianna's Peace are both pink beefsteaks, both Potato Leaf plants, so very similar to Pink Brandywine in many ways. Just less cranky and temperamental. If you can grow PB, you can grow either of these.

There's another one, too, called Brandywine OTV, which is an excellent tomato. It's a pure variety that came about after an accidental cross between a Pink Brandywine and an unknown yellow. A couple of US tom experts saved the seeds, grew them out over five years, and stabilised the variety. So it's a Son (or Daughter) of Pink Brandywine. It's a red beefsteak with orangey shoulders and another Potato Leaf plant.

Here's the only photo I have of a Soldacki. On the kitchen bench, sliced for action:

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/11242.jpg?width=480&height=350&mode=max

Delicious meaty tomato with tons of flavour.

You can have seeds for all three if you like.

28/08/2012 at 16:36

That looks delicious and ... yes i would love to try all 3. How to go about it ?

Plenty of time to work it out before next spring !

Many thanks 

Jo

28/08/2012 at 17:34
I love the little sungold cherry toms ; so do the grandchildren!!
28/08/2012 at 17:36

Anoher fan of Gardeners Delight here!

28/08/2012 at 18:07
jo17 wrote (see)

That looks delicious and ... yes i would love to try all 3. How to go about it ?

Plenty of time to work it out before next spring !

Many thanks 

Jo

Just send me a Private Message with your name and address. I've sent seeds to a couple of other posters here. Run your mouse over the avatar and you'll see a little blue symbol saying Message. Click on it.

28/08/2012 at 18:08

And it looks like the email notification of posts has gone down the gurgler again. It worked for a couple of hours today. Tst.

28/08/2012 at 20:01

It worked for a couple of hours and suddenly I had 54 emails

28/08/2012 at 20:20

I had about 154. It might have started working again. I got notification of your message. You should await the postman's knock, too. Or his bell. Or however he announces himself.

28/08/2012 at 21:09

Thank you so much - the builders start work on our roof and soffits tomorrow; I'll warn them that I'm expecting a  package any time now - they can put it somewhere safe for me when they come in to mak their tea and Hobnobs.  

28/08/2012 at 21:56

We always grow gardeners delight. We have tried various ones but always return to them for salads. The year we have also grown Alicante, for chutney and soups and one yellow tomato, golden sunrise. We have had a good crop from all 3 varieties, but will not be growing the yellow tomato again, not very good flavour or texture. We usually try to ring the changes so I am following this thread with interest to see if anyone has a really good, flavoursome, good cropping tomato to recommend. We grow our toms in a greenhouse.

28/08/2012 at 23:51

I grew golden sunrise amoungst others, only picked a few as it's slow to change colour, not impressed with the texture and taste either but it's ladened with unripe toms. Christmas grape is a nice cherry one, ate my first this evening, hasn't got many trussels though as it's been grown in a pot on the potting bench and the top was nipped off when it reached the glass so it's only a couple of feet high, will  grow that one next year in a bed to see if it fares better.   

29/08/2012 at 06:27

I'm growing Marmande and Red Alert outside this year - RA is supposed to be early ripening, but although we have lots of fruit we have no ripe ones yet - but then we've not had much warm weather - so no reports on flavour yet!

I foresee lots of green tomato chutney.

29/08/2012 at 06:50
Dovefromabove wrote (see)

Thank you so much - the builders start work on our roof and soffits tomorrow; I'll warn them that I'm expecting a  package any time now - they can put it somewhere safe for me when they come in to mak their tea and Hobnobs.  

Don't hold your breath. You forget that we're relying on the Italian postal system. Yet to discover technology such as those new-fangled things called aeroplanes, they use mainly tortoises on crutches.

1 to 20 of 64 messages