Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Best for privacy

LastV8LastV8 Posts: 4

Hi, we've just moved into a terrace house on a busy main road. The front of the house sees a lot of people walk by and i'd like to put some tall shrubs or trees to sheild the windows and create a bit of privacy. The front of the house has a small courtyard approx 2m x 3m and all concrete so what ever plants/shrubs/trees I put there will have to be potted and be at least 2m tall. I don't mind what sort of greenery it is and I'd rather buy some ready grown rather than buy seedlings.

I'm a complete garden novice so the hardier and more maintance free the plants are the better.

Thank you, what ever help you can offer is greatly appreciated. 

• Bamboo?  It will grow in a pot and it grows rapidly.  There are many varieties out there to choose from.  Bamboo will tell you when it needs water too because the leaves curl so there's less chance of it dying from thirst.

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Take care you don't plant anything which will make the room dark.  People passing are preferable to having the light on all day in the winter.

• Good thing about pots is that they can be moved image

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

I had been thinking about this overnight and came up with the same idea as FarmerG -bamboo - passers by will be distracted by the bamboo swishing about.  Why not go to a garden centre and talk to someone there  as you will need something evergreen and about 6 foot high.  Maybe a laurel of some sort?  The thought of sheer curtains at the window could make you shudder with horror! 

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Can I make a suggestion - how about some large timber beds with grasses/evergreens. To have something at a good height you'll need big containers and they can be very expensive. I'd be worried that they might be stolen as well.  A couple of timber beds- perhaps at two different  heights will enable you to plant some different things. Wood isn't expensive from a builders/timber merchant and they don't take long to construct. You'll give the plants a better chance of growing well if they have a good root run. If you can give us an idea of aspect (ie what direction the garden faces and how much sun it gets etc) it will help with suggestions for plants. You could add spring bulbs on the 'house' side to give you something nice to look at from a window  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Don't make the front garden too interesting or people will stop to admire it and make the lack-of-privacy problem worse.  Most people don't look in through front windows.  Thanks to British reserve!

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

If you want some nice mature shrubs to give an instant effect try Crocus.co.uk

They do a good range and you can have an almost a screen in place very quickly.

• LastV8LastV8 Posts: 4

Wow! Thank you everyone for your ideas and suggestions.

It is very much appreciated and I think a trip to the garden centre is now on the cards.

Again, thank you all for your advice.

Regards

Stephen

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

Post a photo on here when you have your screen installedimage

• I grow willow infront of my chicken coop to stop the dog activities bothering the hens, you could try a willow variety?