Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Best Fuchsia

Andy19Andy19 Posts: 671

Hi looking for a fuchsia that i can plant outside in the garden and leave out in all seasons any advice will be very helpfull.

• donutsmrsdonutsmrs Posts: 487

I've got Mrs Popple, I've had this in my garden since 2003 and it never lets me down. It is very hardy and flowers very well. I cut it back this time of the year and it quickly sends up new shoots. I love it.image

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Ricartonii and magellenica are words that spring to mind. I think one may be a cultivar of the other. They've been alive here for years. Alive, not thriving but I think that's down to my naff dry soil.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • nodlisabnodlisab Posts: 414

Have a look at Delta Sarah ,just bought some from Brookside Nursery really nice plants.

• Andy19Andy19 Posts: 671

Thanks everyone i will decide which one i pick and will let you know.

• Genii and Tom Thumb are dwarf hardy fuschias, Winston Churchill is also hardy, this is a larger growing one with double white centre and red outer petals. There is a lovely, small flowered very pale pink one, no idea what it is called so not much help.

• Bunny ...Bunny ... Posts: 3,471
    Are they fussy plants ? Soil ? Etc
  • Fuschias like a fairly rich soil and prefer growing in cool or semi shaded situations. Having said that, my Winston Churchill is growing in one of the hottest summer corners in my garden, it was there when I moved in, that may be why it survives the winters, we do not have too much severe winter weather down here in the South West, it is fairly close to a drai so the ground is always damp.

Think i will go for Ricartonii after having a look at some thanks everybody for your help.

Verdun just when i thought problem sorted i will have a look at it thanks.