Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Best Plant for the Bathroom?

leahjadeleahjade Posts: 10

Hi guys,

I just wanted to ask you guys for any recommendations of plants that can live on the bathroom windowsill? We've just renovated our house and i want a little plant in the bathroom.

I know you can get some that clean the air and have benefits etc, but i just don't know much about them. I'm very new to the plant business so I'm not very clued up on all of this.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated imageimage

Thanks in advance.  LJ xx

Last edited: 26 May 2016 11:08:09

• Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,340

I kept a stags horn fern going for may years in my bathroom with a north facing window - I wouldn't say it thrived, but it survived

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 37,883

It all depends on any light that may be available from your bathroom window but there are some nice small ferns that would like the steamy atmosphere of the bathroom.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • leahjadeleahjade Posts: 10

thanks - and what about an orchid or an aloe vera? xx

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 37,883

Yes, both of those would be ideal x

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • wakeshinewakeshine Posts: 975

Spider plants do really well there

• Up until very recently we used to put our resting orchids in there but one got its leaf too near the glass and was scorched so now they have moved around the corner into our bedroom.

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

I have an aloe Vera in my bathroom that seems happy enough and of course is low maintenance. I used to have a couple of cactus in there too but they got too big. 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Fif2Fif2 Posts: 69

I have an orchid in my bathroom. It's doing well and seems to like the humidity.