Start a new thread

21 to 37 of 37 replies

i purchased some Hostas 2 weeks ago for pennies really at my local Wilkos. Just a root system and shoots in a bag. Soaked them for a couple of hours in the greenhouse then planted them up and bagged the tops with elastic bands. Checked them yesterday and they have really taken off, gone from 1 inch to over 4 now.

anthony mcglen

hi all

i too have just ordered some hostas from Bowdens here is my small list

what do you all think

• 1 x June
  • 1 x Winter Snow
  • 1 x Blue Hawaii
  • 1 x Titanic

Morning Anthony

June is one on my own shopping list......like this one a lot 

There are some real experts here...hope Hostafan is reading......so better opinion than mine should come.  However Blue Hawaiii too is one I have considered.......for leaf colour and size.  not familiar with the others.  

anthony mcglen

thanks for replys   the titanc and blue hawaii i got really for the size.

titanic is ment to grow over 4 foot dia first year but we will see lol

Advertisement

chicky

I have June - she is lovely !  Have used bowdens before and rate them highly ( have i said that before  - not on commission, promise)

my favourite from them is the kiwi full monty - very pretty leaves

Hostafan1

I've got to work to-day and I thought I'd just have a quick look. Hosta chat returns, wey hey!!

The nursery with the biggest catalogue I've ever seen is Fransen Hostas www.hostapardise.com. They're in Holland , but they mail order.

June is a great variety which bulks up really quickly. Titanic and Blue Hawaii look stunning but I really need to curb my enthusiasm.

Hostafan1

I've been tempted to start a hosta nursery, but I think there are so many varieties, it's a pretty daunting task to get off the ground. And, there are so many good nurseries already out there. Great excuse to go on a major spending spree though eh? tee  hee.

Hostafan, if it's your passion and your skill why not start your own business growing hostas?  

I used to grow  and sell tender perennials down here and did well.  A joint venture to grow larger scale floundered but if you have a niche market ...locally too....it could be a winner 

I prob have a mere 8 or so different varieties ....mmmmm, maybe few more.....and will now look up that Dutch nursery Hostafan to add a couple more 

Mark 499
Does anyone grow Hosta 'Orange Marmalade' ?

No I don't Mark but I will. Just checked it out amd I want it 

Hostafan1

I've got orange marmalade. I bought it  a couple of years ago.

Hostafan1

Chicky I grow Kiwi full monty too. I believe it's a "blue" form of Striptease.

gardenjeannie

I have to stop looking on this forum. The I WANT list gets longer with every post. Stop it stop it, everyone! I'm not listening anymore. (or peeking, either) Going tolook for a thread with no plants to look up. If I can find one!!

anthony mcglen

still wating for bowdens to del my hosta order could cry

Advertisement

anthony mcglen

bowdems sent out my hostas on monday hopfully they will turn up today

anthony mcglen

update my hostas turned up yesterday from bowdens. they were really good plant loads of roots and at least two eyes on each on if anyone needs hostas i would recomend bowdems the plants were packed very well and still damp when i opened them. well done bowdens