Start a new thread

Hi all,

Just wondering when would be the best time to take Mahonia cuttings so that I can propogate some new plants for my shade garden?

Many Thanks

The recommended method is to take semi-ripe cuttings in  September - October, so probably a bit late for this year. You can also collect the berries, remove the seeds and sow in pots, but they can take a long time to germinate.

Thank you for that. Had a feeling that was the case. Oh well, will have to wait for next year

Jim Macd

You're only a bit late, I'd give it a go anyway if you don't mind losing a bit of your plant.

Might just do that. Where would be the best place to put the cutting once done. Have a potting shed, utility room window or a small polythene type walk in greenhouse?

Advertisement

Atilla

Now is fine if you can keep them out of the frosts. They take till Spring to root.

Thanks blairs. Will give it a go. Nothing to lose with cuttings

Jim Macd

Yeah, somewhere frost free is probably best. 50:50 grit and compost. But if you have spare material you can always try a handful in a slit in the ground filled with grit. It works really well for roses, dogwoods, etc though of course every plant has a different capacity for rooting., even different plants within the same species. 

Thanks Jim Macd, will have a go. Would be nice to get some more plants especially having seen the garden center prices for 1