London (change)
Today 7°C / 2°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 7°C
6 messages
15/05/2013 at 21:33

Hi all,

I am very new to gardening as we lived in a flat before. We have moved into a house which the garden needs some tlc when we moved in the bamboo was about 8-10 foot tall I have cut it down to about 2 foot now in preparation to get rid of it but after a lot of researching I have worked out that it is a nightmare to get rid of it! Does anyone have any good ideas on the best way to get it gone. 

Thanks

15/05/2013 at 22:29

There's no easy way, I'm afraid - just a lot of digging. You can also put weedkiller on new shoots.

However, it might not be as bad as you fear - not all bamboos wander, and some are fairly easy to dig out.

15/05/2013 at 22:32

Digging is coming up a lot! Looks like a weekend job and lots of elbow grease it has started to wander a bit but hoping if I get it sorted now it wil not be a problem in the long run! 

Thanks

15/05/2013 at 23:42

If it's an invasive variety when digging up make sure you get all the roots. Roots left in the ground will regrow or migrate to other parts of the garden.

16/05/2013 at 06:00

It is a bugger to get rid of. A few years ago my daughter planted one which the garden centre assured her was a non-invasive variety. Within 2 years it was coming up everywhere. That's when you ring Mum .

Armed with loppers and fork we had to dig right down and cut as much of the root as possible. Did that for the next 2 years, at which point they moved... er .. you don't live near Cardiff do you Sazac? In which case, sorry 

16/05/2013 at 07:44

Got a feeling my garden my look rather sorry for itself when I'm finished digging this bugger up! I'm near Oxford  

email image
6 messages