London (change)
Today 9°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 10°C
13 messages
14/07/2012 at 13:43

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/9969.jpg?width=480&height=350&mode=max

I was reading a post somewhere and it was mentioned that only people of a certain age still grow these plants - just hoping pic is ok ! Had to do a lot of re-sizing. Well , here's Archie - 25 years old and still thriving.  He has 50 plus leaves and he's about 3ft tall so this is for everyone who doesn't know what an Aspidistra looks like - meet Archie ! Just for the record - I am of that certain age !!!

14/07/2012 at 14:00

My godmother's aspidistra had 100 leaves. She was of that certain age plus

Archie is a fine specimen, though - bigger than my plant by quite a way.

17/07/2012 at 22:17

Jean, that is lovely.    I was once given one of these plants, but everytime it gained a new leaf it also lost one and I never could get it to grow any bigger.    However you are treating yours, you are certainly doing the right thing!

18/07/2012 at 08:08

Thank you gardengirl. He's usually tucked away in a corner of the room and I'm ashamed to say he was very dusty - he had a wash and brush-up before the photo-shoot ! I don't do anything special other than water and an occasional feed. They like to be kept on the dry side and only a little feed now and then as too much can cause the leaves to split . They  were very popular in the Victorian age as they could cope with the fumes from gas lighting and survive in the big gloomy houses back then but I think Archie 's happy enough in the corner !

18/07/2012 at 09:36

Hello Jean,

I love aspidistras and yours is a fine specimen. They are great house plants because they tolerate neglect so well, and I think the simple glossy leaves are quite classy! We grew a lot of them in a public garden I used to work in. We had to keep them under a bench in one of the glass houses to prevent too much sun from getting to them.

Emma

gardenersworld.com team

18/07/2012 at 09:41

I've found mine surprisingly prone to red spider in summer, even though it's not in a sunny spot. Any tips, please, Jean - or anyone?

18/07/2012 at 10:03

I've never had that problem, Alina - guess I've just been lucky . It may help to sponge the leaves with just plain water and keep it cool. Sorry I can't help much more than that -  none of my plants have ever suffered with it. . What I would say though is don't use those leaf shine products as they block the plants pores. Why someone invented that I'll never understand.

Thank you as well Emma, I feel very proud of Archie now and I promise to give him a bath more often now !

18/07/2012 at 10:29

You're right, Jean, mine could probably do with more water on the leaves. I've no idea how my godmother's monster plant survived - she seemed to ignore it, but pieces that she gave others never did as well as the original. Archie is a very handsome chap

18/07/2012 at 12:00

Yes, I think so too now I'm quite proud of him ! Think he may be becoming a bit of a diva - he looks tons better since he's had a bath. He's got sons and daughters too - I've spilt the plant a few times since  I've had it but not for a good few years now - I just topdress it every now and then but I think your godmother may be right in neglecting it a bit .  I've really not taken much notice of him until I read the post. Hope you get rid of the mites - I had a quick inspection of the other plants and still appear to be mite - free. Long may it continue !

18/07/2012 at 12:43

I too have an aspidestra called Albert, i live in a victorian house so thought it was an appropriate name. He is quite beautiful and sits in the frint room with a palm called Malcolm. Albert is quite slow growing but then i do forget to water him, always remeber to water the garden though. My husband thinks im mad giving them names bit what do you expect from someone whose bike is named Alan.

18/07/2012 at 13:00

Hahahaha ! Glad there's someone else out there who's as crazy as me ! My little carnivores are Fred the flycatcher

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/10100.jpg?width=300&height=350&mode=max

Stan the sundew

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/10101.jpg?width=300&height=350&mode=max

And Percy the pitcher !

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/10102.jpg?width=277&height=350&mode=max

18/07/2012 at 13:02

Ps Percy was just getting lunch - he got that fly.

19/07/2012 at 15:48

I think everyone is crazy to some degree and it does make the world an interesting place. I picked up the habit of naming things from mum and dad. I was also given a very sick plant by my osteopath its now very beautiful sits in the bathroom and goes by the name of Mabel!!!!!

email image
13 messages