Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Bird of paradise seeds

SwedboySwedboy Posts: 394

hi,

has anyone tried to grow this from seeds? A friend of mine brought me two seeds from Tenerife. the little info i have found indicates that I should soak the seed for some days but then the advice forks. Some say I should then keep it in the fridge whilst others to plant it. 

the seeds didn't come with instructions.

• Pink lilyPink lily Posts: 175

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=847

Found this in the rhs website.  I have also just received seeds from Madeira.  good luck, hope you manage to grow them.....by the sounds of things, only 10 years to wait for flowers! image

• my wife gillian has grown 2 plants both went in the same time same conditions   1 has grown really big whilst  the other 1 has remained quite small. also they can take several years to reach the flowering stage good luck

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

I put mine in damp soil and put it on top of the hot water cupboard and got 100% germination within a week, so warm damp soil is the way to go. No light needed. Easy seeds.

• SwedboySwedboy Posts: 394
    Thank you all. Night so two different attempt as I have two seeds.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Unlikely anything from Tenerife needs fridge treatment.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

They are South African in origin. The larger white flowered varieties are used as ornamentals in warm parts of Portugal, Spain etc and get very large and tall. The smaller orange flowered one is more widely grown in the UK, inside, as they cannot stand our cold wet winters and anything but a very brief light frost.

No cold treatment is required!