London (change)
Today °C / °C
Tomorrow °C / °C
13 messages
30/03/2013 at 22:46
Well I bit the bullet and my seeds have been sown! Bring on spring/summer!!
31/03/2013 at 08:44

I hope so! The weather is certainly improved this weekend.

31/03/2013 at 08:52
Yes although we have quite a heavy frost today!
31/03/2013 at 10:50
Well done red dahlia.
Bet you will be checking every day....every few minutes maybe....to see If they're up yet
31/03/2013 at 12:20
Spring sunshine, but I still have a foot of snow in half of my garden. I will resort to gardening mags instead.
31/03/2013 at 21:36
Yes your right, we get up in the morning and check then again at tuck up time!!!

So sown is/are...

Sweet peas
Sweet peppers
Dwarf red dahlia
African marigold
Gazania
Perennial lobelia
Primula root
Agapanthus
Cheap bulbs that look like allium but they aren't!!
Potatoes in tubs in conservatory!
31/03/2013 at 21:46

Love it! good skills Red, I started 3 weeks ago. some doing well others not so much but i just could'nt wait!

now though i have a back log for the windows -

next week looks better though. moving plants out bit by bit to green house.

planted out summer bulbs today. been waiting to do that forever. they are in a massie planter in front garden under kitchen window ( more like small raised bed)

31/03/2013 at 21:49

I'll start my spring sow this week. I've been very unenthusiastic about it all. Cold outside, cold in the GH, though better if the sun comes out. Just can't get the neccessary push.

31/03/2013 at 23:15
It's because I took a week off work to ride, garden and do house hold jobs and DIY. Well 2 of the 3 have been done!!!

Back to work on tues and then the garden becomes my escape and switch off time!

Horrid thing is the oil ran out last night so we are blooming cold, except the conservatory will still be warm with the heater keeping them going!!!
01/04/2013 at 07:21

Same here with the oil, annoying thing is how much more it costs when you go to pick some up. Apparently it costs more to maintain the pump than to drive a Lorry a 20 mile round trip...

On the plus side a (relatively local garage) has started selling oil in drums and its open 24 hours.  

01/04/2013 at 08:22
blackest wrote (see)

Same here with the oil, annoying thing is how much more it costs when you go to pick some up. Apparently it costs more to maintain the pump than to drive a Lorry a 20 mile round trip...

On the plus side a (relatively local garage) has started selling oil in drums and its open 24 hours.  

Do you have one of those wireless gauges for measuring the oil? We had one at previous house and it seemed to work well. Phoned the oil people when it got to a certain level  and they were usually out within a day or so.

01/04/2013 at 09:19

simpler system here, run the oil when it stops tilt the tank, think about buying some more... run out again buy a drum. Got an open fire so will try to use that and the oil for when there  is company or it really is perishing. Running full bore the oil is about 2 litres an hour. I'm tempted to set up a small solar system for hot water those evacuated glass tubes with a heat pipe inside can readily boil water with a little sun on them.  

01/04/2013 at 10:17
Tilting tank- be v careful, if you pull any sediment from bottom of tank in then you will end up damaging the boiler! More costly in maintenance. Hence why they leave a reserve in the bottom.

We have eaten 500l in 2 months!!!! I'm thinking that us far far far to fast. How long does 500L last others at this time of year.

Wish I knew where to buy a drum from -cold!!!
email image
13 messages