Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Black bamboo

I've been gifted a beautiful black bamboo. It's about 1.5m tall, and has a rootball about the size of a football. It will be going Into a container, but what size will I need? Am I right in thinking width is more important than depth for a bamboo? Thanks for reading!

• Scott EdwardsScott Edwards Posts: 227

Bamboo's make excellent plants for pots and containers. I would recommend a large container and use a good soil based compost. Take care never to allow it to dry out. Feed regularly during late spring and summer. You can either repot them if they out grow the container, or reduce the size of the football by dividing the plant. The roots are strong and can split containers so it better to grow your bamboo in a plastic pot can then be plunged into a more treasured pot if you prefer. 

• BerkleyBerkley Posts: 431
    I'm no expert - and can only pass on my experience....I had a similar sized plant five years ago. Three years ago I put it into a half-barrel. It is now about six feet tall and it's roots fill the barrel. I water it often and it looks very impressive. I'll post a picture when I can. It looks very healthy but I keep expecting it to burst out of its home! Somebody more knowledgeable may help us both do the right thing...
  • The half whisky barrel would be perfect, try your local distillary, ours sell them for £20 if you lucky they  may still be a bit in the bottom

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

All good advice. Width is more important than depth for bamboo. To get the best black colour you need to site the bamboo in full sun. Mine are starting to turn black (I bought some juvenile plants so it has taken years for them to thicken up and darken). I feed them grass fertiliser every few weeks to give them a boost and place grass cuttings around their base (am told this is not needed but the heat helps them in early spring)