London (change)
Today 20°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 14°C
1 to 20 of 23 messages
31/03/2014 at 21:01

Every time I see a black flower in someone's garden I have to ask why?   Yet the owner always puffs with pride when "showing them off".  Black geranium, what's that? Awful looking plant.  Black violas?  

I was near to buying a black hellebore but remain unconvinced.  Dark purple yes.    

Grew. Chili Black scabious but it wasn't really black ....more like morello cherry and it was a nice plant.

Black always looks like soil to me from a distance.  Close up not exciting.

Black!  Good for you? 

31/03/2014 at 21:09

With orange, yes.  It's all about what you plant it next to I think.  Have to say I don't much care for those black grasses you get though - always look like the leftovers after a forest fire. 

31/03/2014 at 22:08

Verdun.  At last Mike has found a fellow beliver.  Let's quickly attempt to cover the glorious spectrum of plant diversity etc, of which, colour has to be a major player. From folk lore onwards.  Black always appears to have mourning, deathlike state about it.  For instance. IMHO there is no such thing as a Black flower.  OK.  For what is on offer.  Take the darkest, as one might call it, a black flower.  Now place tis alongside a pure white rose.  There you have it.  Black and white.  Stop and think.  Let your thought drift.  You look continually upon the black flower.  Poke your nose into it, some fragrance, but.  The colour, BLACK.  What i so interesting in black.  Now take a look at the white flower.  Wihin nano seconds.  Your mind comes alive with thought, visions of perhaps a favourite lady, white, purity etc.  The white also aloows for the deeper insight, to see feint markings etc.  Whereas, Black remains black.  I leave it upto you to decide.  I love roses.  No thank you.  To me.   A Black rose would suggest death, sorrow etc.  I prefer to enjoy the floral world, it brings me happiness and delight.

31/03/2014 at 22:11

I only love black flowers when they are actually really dark purple - hellebores, irises etc

Black centres (as in rudbeckias) are good - but guess that doesn't really count

31/03/2014 at 22:27

I can't recall seeing any fully black flowers, but don't hunk I would be keen, not a black fan at all unless they are with another colour as Chicky said.

I do however love very deep purple, and was thinking of buying a deep purple Lily but missed the offer (I think it was called Black Knight?).

31/03/2014 at 22:55

It dépends on what you associate them with - cream, white, orange, bright scarlet or something with silver foliage.

31/03/2014 at 22:59

I'm growing for the first time a black hollyhock. I have wondered myself and generally I wouldn't plant black of any description (maybe black bamboo), so I am to be persuaded.

31/03/2014 at 23:22

I grow ophiopogon nigrescens.  I like it.....I think!  However, where to grow it is difficult.    I grow it in a terracotta pot but I must confess to not really enjoying if there.  I grow it in the garden where it looks as  though I'm growimg it because I have it!!   It's nicer in the spring and summer....it becomes shiny and it produces pinky white flowers.  I associate it with yellow foliage, Heucheras and pinks.  Then it "produces".  

I tend to agree with Mike......black does not actually make me smile 

04/04/2014 at 09:59

I use this stuff as ground cover in a  sharply drained bed at the top of a 3 feet high sleeper retaining wall.  It is spreading nicely now and looks fab with white crocuses in spring and then pink dwarf dianthus later on.    There are snowdrops, grape hyacinths, hellébores, verbascum phoenicums, bergenias, achillea and stachys all in a happy jumble to attract pollinators to my damson tree, autumn raspberries and tay berries which grow nearby, enjoying the same sunny position.

04/04/2014 at 10:19

Verdun, try growing ophiopogon next to Milium effusum Aureum ( Bowles golden grass) they look stunning together. I grow the Milium behind so it gently hangs over, but doesn't crowd the Ophiopogon.

04/04/2014 at 10:34

I too have ophiopogon, but I'm growing mine on at the mo. Not really sure where to put it, maybe in my alpine bed 

04/04/2014 at 10:56

I really don't like ophiopogon. I know its very "in" but it just looks like dead stuff to me.

I'm not fond of black flowers either, partly because they're not black, they  are usually dark purple or red, and I think that if you work in the day, and come home in the evening, you don't see them, because they disappear in the gloaming. However a pale colour or white will shout out at you in the evenings.

04/04/2014 at 11:38

I have a bed full of ophiopogon with a red barked acer in the middle, set into lush green lawn. It's quite striking. I like dark varieties, but I do like dark colours in all things(all the best bikes are black). They aren't for everybody, gardens wouldn't be so interesting if we all liked and planted the same things.

04/04/2014 at 12:07

Black might go in a very modern garden.   But I'm not a fan of 'modern' gardens so it's a no from me!

04/04/2014 at 12:10

OKay I'm going to be the 'black' sheep here - I love my black viola 'Molly Sanderson' 

I love very dark colours but you have to work them into your garden in a particular way to get them right.

All colours can be insipid, dull, garish, ugly, disappointing etc etc. It depends what else you associate them with.

04/04/2014 at 14:40

I'm with Fairygirl, I have a Molly Sanderson viola in a pot and I am waiting with anticipation as it is just about to flower.  What I like about it is that it is unusual and striking.

I really need to buy some more and plant them in front of euphorbia polychroma for maximum impact!

04/04/2014 at 14:44

They look great with acid green foliage pootler. Alchemilla's good with them too.

I had a little green heuchera which I'd obtained as a seedling and it looked good with that as well.

04/04/2014 at 21:31

Funnily enough I have just brought a  black grass "Blackbeard" put it in a pot with some light coloured gravel on top - sits quite nicely at the bottom of my cherry tree.  Don't associate it with anything maudlin - more striking and offers a contrast - in fairness it's not true black when the sun shines through it more of a deep blue colour. 

05/04/2014 at 00:48

Hostafan, yes I do use that combination too.  Love Bowles golden grass ESP when flowering.  I have groups of them and the yellow flowers are a sheer delight.

Another combination I tried was ophiopogon in front of a white pink...mrs Simkins.  Both it's blue foliage and white flowers set off the black grass.  Actually it looked quite classy....will do it again I think

05/04/2014 at 20:27

I bought some cornflower seeds today Verdun, they're called 'black ball'. They are actually very dark red and they'll go lovely with sweet Williams at the bottom of a pale fence.

1 to 20 of 23 messages