London (change)
Today 12°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 6°C
6 messages
08/04/2013 at 14:14
Daffs etc that come up blind. I have read both to bin without exception and to leave them for another chance. Which advice should I follow please? Looks this year as tho' some established and some first year bulbs are not going to flower.
08/04/2013 at 14:18

Try digging oneor two up.

Check for firmness.

Cut in half and check for maggots.

We had this problem but it was caused by very healthy  bulbs just being too congested.

They needed lifting and replanting with more room.

08/04/2013 at 14:19

Depends on why they aree blind. If like us you are inflicted with Narcissus root fly, then dig them up and burn. You can tell if it is this if the leaves are few and weak growing. Dig up a bulb and if it is soft then cutit open and you cannot miss the slug like beast in the centre.

If the leaves are green and healthy and the bulbs were planted at the correct depth, then leave them in. Feed with a good foliage feed and  split the clumps if they are crowded. They are like any other plant they do need some looking after.

08/04/2013 at 14:58

Great advice Berghill. I've not experienced Narcissus root fly before but I'll certainly try to remember what you've said. I've always left foliage on to die down completely  (never do the tying up with string thing ) and give them a feed so not had much bother with daffs but congestion does seem to be  a common problem for lots of people- and easily solved!

08/04/2013 at 15:00

Sometimes it's just due to the weather at leaf dying down time the year before.

13/04/2013 at 19:44
Many thanks.
email image
6 messages