Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

blind daffodils

MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,951
I planted daffodil bulbs in autumn. Some have done very well but quite a lot have come up blond or barely poked through. Is there anything I should do to help them along for next year or just leave them? Thanks.

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Feed 'em (blood/fish/bone?) about now.  Water 'em if/when they need it.  Make sure they get plenty of sunshine (which may mean planting them somewhere else!).   Don't cut or bend the leaves down or tie them together.

They need as much opportunity as poss now to make the buds that will flower next year.

• biofreakbiofreak Posts: 1,089

My daffodils aren't blind but MUNCHED!!! What on earth is attacking the stamens and a tiny chunk of petal???

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Someone on another thread said that lily beetle might eat daffodil flowers...?!

• MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,951

Thanks Steve, I will feed them but they are in the grass, would it be better to use diluted phostrogen rather than fbb pellets? Also as they are in the grass I was going to mow them later (I leave the others in the borders). I'll have a think how I can keep the best of both worlds - tidy grass and keep the leaves of next springs daffs. They have good soil and plenty of sun so I wouldn't move them.Could the problem be because they are 'new' bulbs, can't remember where from ?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Daffs in grass, use liquid feed, phostrogen will be ok. Don't mow the grass, until the daff leaves  have died down.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Slugs and snails will eat daff flowers. Encourage a hedgehog. Maybe dove could hire out hefty.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Hefty is fully employed here thankyou !!! image

In the wild daffodils grow in damp meadows where their toes are in moist soil all year round - a jolly good soaking with the hosepipe after flowering time is really good for them if Mother Nature forgets to arrange a Late Spring Deluge.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.