London (change)
Today 7°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 7°C
1 to 20 of 27 messages
01/03/2014 at 21:23

Just bought 2 blue berry bushes , wondered if anybody has any tips for looking after them ?

I intend to plant them in my allotment in full sun 

01/03/2014 at 21:40

They prefer acid soil. I have to grow them in pots of ericaceous compost.

01/03/2014 at 21:46

Bought a couple from Lidl today £1.99 each, going to give them a try on my allotment, its clay based. At that price nothing lost if they fail.

01/03/2014 at 22:12

...and they are likely to fail without being planted in ericaceous compost...

I grow them in pots in the back garden...I'm happy to be wrong but if you want to grow them on an allotment the best chance they have is to be planted in wide bottom less pots filled with ericaceous compost, the pot will allow them to draw up moisture from the soil and they'll draw nutrients from the compost. Later in the year a mulch of pine needles or possible leaf mulch willl help...if they take.

...and new plants shouldn't be pruned in the first two years, this allows them to put on growth.

01/03/2014 at 22:21

They must have acid soil & be watered with rainwater or you are just wasting your time & money.

01/03/2014 at 22:40

Thanks for the advice, as a test I will try growing one in a pot with ericaceous compost and the other on the allotment in a hole filled with the same compost.

01/03/2014 at 22:45

An allotment soil will not be suitable for blueberries.  You need to plant them in pots of ericaceous soil.....plunge them in the soil or have them free standing.  You need to keep them well watered and mulched with acid bark chips or similar.  At least 2 different varieties are needed too.  Ideally water with rain water

02/03/2014 at 08:52

Lots of useful advice, thanks everyone. It will be an interesting challenge to get a crop but thats the fun of gardening.

02/03/2014 at 12:52

Scroggin what sort are they,

02/03/2014 at 12:57

The R H S has some very good advise for them Scroggin,, note the size of pot and PH of the soil, im doing the same soon all in 12" pots,good luck

02/03/2014 at 17:01

Hello everybody , thanks for the advise , have been out and bought some ericaccous compost today and planted them in open pots in the ground also seemed a good idea to put some ericaccous stuff in the bottom of the hole 

I have to say this site is great for practical advise , much better than just reading books or the internet , once again many thanks 

02/03/2014 at 18:15

Just a comment......if you plunge your pots in the ground keep them slightly above the surrounding soil or lime will enter.  I counter this by applying thick ericaceous mulch generously around the submerged pots.  

02/03/2014 at 18:28

Hi Alan, they were an impulse buy from Lidl, I have taken over a second allotment and eventually will devote part of it to fruit, we already grow rasp's and strawbs.

Being from Lidl they are unnamed, but I will give them a try using what I've learnt here, if I need a seperate variety for pollination I may be in trouble as I dont think there are any others on the surrounding plots.

If they do fail it wont be from lack of help here.

03/03/2014 at 12:12

Last year a friend bought me a LIDL fig,i fed it on a little nettle juice and well chopped up seaweed for 3 months, it is absolutely a beauty now and ready to go into a pit ,so sometimes the Lidl  stuffs good as well as cheap,, my Blues  will be in ordinary 12 " pots as it seems they dont like big pots too soon, and lots of people here recommend pots better than open ground and it solves the soil composition as they say ericaccous is the one. good luck matey

04/03/2014 at 11:03

Today I bought my first blueberry plant, its a 'goldtraube' in a 2L pot with plenty of new leaf buds on. I'm wondering is it advisable to pot it on or leave it where it is this year?

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which other variety I should get to encourage cross pollination? There seems to be so much conflicting advice online when it comes to blueberries and when they flower and fruit, so I'm seeking 'tried an  tested' advice from those of you who successfully grow a good crop.

Thanks in advance.

04/03/2014 at 11:49

Hi Lori73,  i found a brilliant chap on u tube (HOW TO PLANT BLUEBERRIES BY JEFF) just the kind of real info your looking for, he would be great on TV and talks sense ,by the way it seems all blueberries are fairly self fertile but do far better mixed as he shows in his vid well worth a look, iv also ordered Spartan ,a friend advised they are really good fruiters along with 2 others hope this helps ,good luck.

04/03/2014 at 12:56

Hello Lori. i am no expert by any means but have researched a fair bit before buying my own. like raspberries, i believe the idea is to have different varieties that will provide the longest crop over the season. personally i would go for 3 plants to start with, maybe 6 if you have the space and time to tender to them properly and are experienced enough - 

'Duke' - early season

'Bluecrop' - a mid season

'Chandler' - late season

so these would cross pollinate. as you already have a Goldtraube (mid season) maybe you could omit Chandler in its place. 

04/03/2014 at 19:28

Have planted my Lidl Blueberries in 12" pots filled with ericaceous compost, will look out for another variety for cross pollination.

04/03/2014 at 20:07

I have 2 early, 2 middle and 2 lates they are 3 years old this season they are all in pots of ericaceous compost . Loads of berries last year, so expecting a good yield this year as I have just top dressed them

04/03/2014 at 20:24

With acid compost I trust Anne 

A real treat in the summer aren't they?

Anybody growing any of the hybrid berries?  Worth while?  

1 to 20 of 27 messages