Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Bluebell Bulb Storage

VoyagerxpVoyagerxp Posts: 651

For the last few years i've been having alot of white bluebells, are white bluebells callied Spanish Bluebells?. Anyway they have been popping up through a graveled area of my garden. I wanted them moved so i've waited until the flowers have died off and dug up the bulbs. Do i just replant them now for next year or can i store them until next year. Not sure about this.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Replant, I don't think they store well dry

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • I had some Bluebells given to me earlier this year and was unable to plant them immediately due to my health, and when I was able to do it the bulbs looked ok but the leaves were very wilted and some were dead. I just thought, ok, so I'll still get flowers next year and planted them anyway just as they were. They recovered quickly and gave me some white, some blue and even a few pink flowers. I was very pleased but a bit confused as I have never seen pink ones before. Are these from somewhere a bit more exotic than Leicestershire or unusual in any other way than their colour? can someone let me know because I am really curious.

• landgirl100landgirl100 Posts: 655

All bluebells can be blue, pink or white - just look in a bluebell wood and you can usually find all three colours. Spanish bluebells are great fat things, and not often seen. There are a lot of hybrid bluebells around though.

• garden geekgarden geek Posts: 138

native bluebells have hybridized even in some bluebell woods,I have been trying for years to rid my garden of hybrids,but cant stop the spread,a native bluebell will have white pollen,and white native bluebells rare,but hybrids in white or pink and blue are common

• I am trying hard to get rid of Spanish bluebell in my garden, any advice gratefully received.

• garden geekgarden geek Posts: 138

if like in our garden they have really taken off,I don't think there is any control other than keep digging them up while in leaf and before they flower.That said I have done this for years and not got rid of them,the reason being you can never find all of the bulbs and they multiply back at an alarming rate. Hope you have better success than me.