Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Bluebells, Bluebells!!!

I live near the coast with a garden that has a large section of Sycamore trees. Underneath this I have thousands and thousands of bluebells. When these finish the nettle and borage takes over- a great haven for insect life. I love the bluebells and don't want to tame the area too much but want to establish some all year round ground cover. Does anyone have suggestions for plants that can live happily with the huge bluebell population which is dominant at this time of year?

• Hello April. It sounds like the area is pretty perfect as it is. What about adding some wild garlic, which traditionally grows with bluebells, and will provide ground cover from early spring to autumn.

Kate

• Hi Kate,

Thank you for your reply. This is just the sort of info I need. I want to keep it as natural as possible but just need something to replace the bluebells when they die down.

• Helen415Helen415 Posts: 2
    I love my bluebells and muscari but how do I deal with them after flowering as they are all over the borders.
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze Posts: 5,686
    @Helen415 Welcome. I think a large spade and numerous buckets to put them in, like you I love them both but I grow niether, as you say they are everwhere. Even if you think you have got them all they will be back nex year. 
    I have worked as a Gardener for 24 years. My latest garden is a new build garden on heavy clay.
  • bédébédé Posts: 3,095
    edited April 2023

Hello April. It sounds like the area is pretty perfect as it is. What about adding some wild garlic, which traditionally grows with bluebells, and will provide ground cover from early spring to autumn.

I have both.  At the junction the wild garlic (ransomes, not triquetrum) wins, and then disappears into it's own nothingness.

I agree that bluebells do look a bit untidy when they die.  Mine grow under sweet chestnuts.  Eventually the catkins fall (August?) and cover the bluebells with yellow (turning brown) then comes autumn.

When I first took on the garden, Nature complemented the bluebells with brambles and bracken.  I cleared these.  Now I am adding native ferms, mostly female fern.

My shade is very dry, if yours is damper youwill have a bigger choice. 
    "Have nothing in your garden that you don't know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
  • bédébédé Posts: 3,095
    edited April 2023
    I also have an area in sun in long grass (does it have to be an acre to be a meadow?).  if grass will grow in your spot, then grow that with any meadow plants that flower June to Septmber.

Just seen the original date of the post, so I doubt if the OP will still be following.

For Helen: Yours is a different problem.  What have you got in your borders competing with the bluebells & muscari?

Where bluebells are inmy borders, I find that most hardy geraniums will cover them.  Leaving dying leaves and seedheads that can be tidied away by hand.
    "Have nothing in your garden that you don't know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
  • Helen415Helen415 Posts: 2
    Thank you all for your advice. I have all sorts in my borders, including hardy geraniums. Roses, primulas and shrubs.