Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Border problem

nodlisabnodlisab Posts: 414

At my OH request I am trying to create a border of blue and white flowers,I have planted Alyssum with Lobelia . The problem is the Alyssum is already flowering before the Lobelia, should I remove the flowers on the Alussum to get them to flower at the same time

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,028

The Lobelia will catch up. Summer bedding plants flower for a long time. Just wait, won't be long.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • nodlisabnodlisab Posts: 414

Thanks Busy-Lizzie, just didnt want the alyssum to stop flowering before the Lobelia.

• Busy Bee2Busy Bee2 Posts: 1,005
    Once my alyssum comes out, it tends to stay out till the end of the summer. Then it self seeds, and this year, it just grew back from last year's plants because the winter was so mild.
  • daffygardenerdaffygardener Posts: 109

if you want a perennial, How about an omphaloides verna or the other one I can't remember its name.  a small bright blue flower from mar/april on a low growing evergreen mat of leaves.  It's similar to a forget me not and is low growing - sorry I've tried to upload a picture but don't seem to do it at the moment