London (change)
Today °C / °C
Tomorrow °C / °C
5 messages
17/05/2014 at 09:32

At my OH request I am trying to create a border of blue and white flowers,I have planted Alyssum with Lobelia . The problem is the Alyssum is already flowering before the Lobelia, should I remove the flowers on the Alussum to get them to flower at the same time

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/45996.jpg?width=277&height=350&mode=max

17/05/2014 at 09:49

The Lobelia will catch up. Summer bedding plants flower for a long time. Just wait, won't be long.

17/05/2014 at 10:06

Thanks Busy-Lizzie, just didnt want the alyssum to stop flowering before the Lobelia.

17/05/2014 at 15:28
Once my alyssum comes out, it tends to stay out till the end of the summer. Then it self seeds, and this year, it just grew back from last year's plants because the winter was so mild.
17/05/2014 at 15:56

if you want a perennial, How about an omphaloides verna or the other one I can't remember its name.  a small bright blue flower from mar/april on a low growing evergreen mat of leaves.  It's similar to a forget me not and is low growing - sorry I've tried to upload a picture but don't seem to do it at the moment

email image
5 messages