Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Bringing back the Annual!

Hello you lovely lot! 

Im wanting to bring start a 'great British annual revival' around my area by sowing, growing and selling annuals. Inspiration given to me from Fidgetbones, I'm wanting to know what everyone's favourite and least favourite annuals are, and I know you lot don't hold back image

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Hi Ryan

I like escholzias, but maybe I can't spell it. I like some of the more subtle colours as well as the bright orange, but not as a mix.

I can't think of any that I don't like but I don't grow many

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Nasturtiums, especially the cream and peach coloured ones.  So versatile and easy to grow too - just poke them in the soil where you need some ground cover, or into a pot where they can trail beautifully, or use climbing varieties to cover a trellis.  Job done!

• Oooh, lovely topic! Poppies in all varieties are wonderful. Nigella has good flowers and interesting seedheads. Sweet peas and night-scented stock have great perfume. I could go on and on! I don't think I'd buy annual plants though, they are easy to grow from seed. You might get angry customers wanting to know why their plants died over winter!

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

For selling I would do the following bedding plants in dozens.

white ayssum, blue lobelia, dwarf french marigolds, african marigolds, nemesia, 10 wk stocks, cosmos sonata, rudbeckia cherry brandy, rudbeckia cherokee, pansies, ostrich plume asters, cineraria maritimum silver dust.

Ryan I have  PM you.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Also godetia, nicotiana, mesembyanthemum, tagetes,phlox drummondi, petunias.

All half hardy annuals to be sown under glass, pricked out and then ready to sell in May. A lot of this is old fashioned bedding, but the garden ventres and market stalls sell masses in may and june.

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409

Cosmos every year for meimage  And rudbeckia Indian Summer is a favourite tooimageimage

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I wasn't paying attention. My eschscholzias (I looked up how to spell that) would be useless for selling.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 15,039

Cerinths are agreat bet. They look unusual, can be sown in Autumn and flowering by June, then save seed for the following year. They also do perfectly well from a March sowing.

How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border