Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Broadcasting poppy seeds into the border

BenDoverBenDover Posts: 488
Watched GW the other week and saw Monty Don simply broadcasting last years poppy seeds into the borders. No preperation (other than the mulch he put down early in the season) and seeds werent covered. Just left to get on with it. Does this really work? Im thinking of pacing down to my garden centre to get a packet of seeds.....

• pavery026pavery026 Posts: 75
    I was thinking the same, my theory is that it must work because the wind would spread the seed naturally so we would just be copying that process
  • Alina WAlina W Posts: 1,445

It works better if you make sure that the soil surface is a bit rough, so the poppies have somewhere to lodge.

• persisterpersister Posts: 1

I have done this in previous yeras with good results

• Moonlit HareMoonlit Hare Posts: 153

I tried planting in cells with a light covering of soils so I know what they where when they where coming through. (I got a new garden in April and I'm still not sure whats going to apper!)

Nothing came up, so I don't know if it helps a little or not but personally I'm going to rule out this method!

• Alina WAlina W Posts: 1,445

Poppies need light to germinate, so covering them is not a good idea. They also dislike root disturbance, so are best sown where they are to grow.

• kate1123kate1123 Posts: 2,815

I always use the scatter method with great success. I have tried cells but they did not like being transplanted and were much smaller than the others.

• BenDoverBenDover Posts: 488

Ok - I've done it.  2,000 poppy sides in palm of hand and scattered them with abandon around the borders.  Lord knows where they have landed - but good shower of rain will hopefully get them going.  Quite excited now with the anticipation of what its going to look like.

• kate1123kate1123 Posts: 2,815

We will look forward to the photosimage

• Rob StevensRob Stevens Posts: 91
    I've done the same. I'm planning on getting a few different types and doing it again every couple of weeks for continuous flowering.
  • pavery026pavery026 Posts: 75
    Scattering seeds this weekend good idea to save some and scatter them later on, can't wait to see how it will look.